Wolf Behavior

micdut

I've been reading a lot of people's comments about wolves being overly aggressive. People think it's unrealistic that they attack humans, since in real life wolves are strategic in who they pick a fight with--they'll attack sick, wounded, or defenseless animals... not a big strong human. I just wana reply generally to all those naysayers.

This is all explained for me with the disclaimer that shows upon launch of the game that reads "Due to the nature of the geomagnetic storm, we have taken liberties with wildlife behavior," or something to that effect. I don't know much about what a geomagnetic storm would do to the minds of animals, but it seems like they're saying it makes these wolves bloodthirsty.

Also, I've read some people saying there should be Grizzly bears. They would be hibernating, dummy! So unless the GM storm woke them up and made them mad too, don't be expecting any big furry brown beasts.

I've been reading a lot of people's comments about wolves being overly aggressive. People think it's unrealistic that they attack humans, since in real life wolves are strategic in who they pick a fight with--they'll attack sick, wounded, or defenseless animals... not a big strong human. I just wana reply generally to all those naysayers.

This is all explained for me with the disclaimer that shows upon launch of the game that reads "Due to the nature of the geomagnetic storm, we have taken liberties with wildlife behavior," or something to that effect. I don't know much about what a geomagnetic storm would do to the minds of animals, but it seems like they're saying it makes these wolves bloodthirsty.

That's been my answer exactly.

Also, I've read some people saying there should be Grizzly bears. They would be hibernating, dummy! So unless the GM storm woke them up and made them mad too, don't be expecting any big furry brown beasts.

Well, you said it, the "event" doesn't just mess with the wolves, but with the bears as well. Also, the devs have already said they would like bears in the game as well, so I'm pretty sure there will be bears at some point.

Has wolf-battle become harder? Everytime I battle a wolf, even with a knife, I die! Ever since the update yesterday I have died 5 times in wolf-battle and I never had any problems before! Today for instance, I hit the wolf 6 times and he didn't die! WTH?

Has wolf-battle become harder? Everytime I battle a wolf, even with a knife, I die! Ever since the update yesterday I have died 5 times in wolf-battle and I never had any problems before! Today for instance, I hit the wolf 6 times and he didn't die! WTH?

This is my experience too. I don't mind it completely, except as I posted elsewhere if you get jumped by a randomly spawning wolf, you have zero warning and die.

The developers seem to go to extremes and mix stuff up. I assume it's part of their balancing, feedback, and data collection process. I'm sure it will be altered at some point. It does make the game frustrating in the mean time though.

So I asked some of my nerdy friends and the internet about what a massive geomagnetic storm would do. The electronics being down checks out, but the only animals to be affected would be those that rely on geomagnetic fields for navigation, like homing pigeons or dolphins. As far as science knows so far, it wouldn't have any effects besides maybe confusing some of those migratory animals. That being said, I really don't mind the devs utilizing some creative license to make the game what it is.

This is my experience too. I don't mind it completely, except as I posted elsewhere if you get jumped by a randomly spawning wolf, you have zero warning and die.

The developers seem to go to extremes and mix stuff up. I assume it's part of their balancing, feedback, and data collection process. I'm sure it will be altered at some point. It does make the game frustrating in the mean time though.

The devs did say they didn't want a zombie survival game. If the wolves are everywhere AND impossible to beat hand-to-hand, then it's a zombie game cuz you just have to dash from safe zone to safe zone. My proposed solution is to leave the wolves really hard to beat when you don't have a good defense (like a knife maybe). BUT you should never be taken completely by surprise walking out the door. Make it so you have to make the conscious decision to face one--or you get cornered because you made a wrong turn. Otherwise it shouldn't be too hard to get away from them--a pain in the ass, yes, but always an option.

Regarding the harder wolf fights: I had several in my current game and survived them all. The devs clarified in the last update notes that it's no use anymore to repeatedly click left mouse button. rather you need to build up strength and then punch. I think this is the right way to do it, since it makes every wolf fight a challenge. Usually the wolves flee after 3 or 4 stabs with a knife. If you are bolt you can even follow the wolf after bandaging your wounds.It might bleed and eventually die. So what Will sometimes says: "I will kill you and eat you" actually is possible with a knife or and axe at least :)

I swear to god, after 18 battles armed with hatchet knife prybar bare hands and loaded rifle, I'm at a complete loss for the secret twitch to survive battling wolf attacks. getting very close to quitting this otherwise gorgeous alpha game.....

Can watch LMG's 28-hour marathon of The Long Dark (starts Friday) - and perhaps ask him.

I've been able to fight them without much difficulty (I'm not a speed button clicker, or anything), so no idea where you're running into trouble with them. LMG may be able to help, or you might see the approach.

Most of the time, we just avoid the wolves as much as possible -- your fatigue and health will also affect battles against them.

What's LMG? How do I watch this?

Pardon my ignorance :P

LMG is short for the player LordMasterGaming - he plays The Long Dark a lot

You can watch him when he's live on Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/lordmastergaming

[he's doing a 28-hour The Long Dark marathon Dec 5, 2014]

You can also watch any number of his most recent videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/LordMasterGaming

Can watch LMG's 28-hour marathon of The Long Dark (starts Friday) - and perhaps ask him.

I've been able to fight them without much difficulty (I'm not a speed button clicker, or anything), so no idea where you're running into trouble with them. LMG may be able to help, or you might see the approach.

Most of the time, we just avoid the wolves as much as possible -- your fatigue and health will also affect battles against them.

Or I could ask you :P How do you fight off wolves Bill? Even with a knife, being in good condition (90%+) and with low fatigue (no more than 50%) I only seem to be able to survive 1 out of 3 wolf fights or so and even then I only just survive with 15% condition at most.

I already tried to avoid wolves as much as possible before the update, but now I'm downright terrified of them.

I do think tough wolves are an asset to the game, and I like that I feel like I really need to avoid them. I think that's how the devs intended it. But I'd like to have a little better chance of surviving an attack if I'm not able to avoid it.

And the most annoying thing about wolves has got to be them jumping you the second you get out the door. And I'm not talking about going inside with a wolf on your tail and coming back out, but when you've been in the house for a good time and you come out and BAM! before you're even able to turn around and go back inside. I haven't been back to the coastal town since the update...

Archived