Still getting repeated loading screen crashes on PS4

Jigsawn

This is a problem the game had over a year ago, and when I reinstalled the Long Dark last week I was surprised to see it still in the game. There are plenty of other forum posts about this over the years but I haven't seen any lately. 

On base PS4 the game consistently crashes on loading screens after a certain amount of transitions between buildings/regions. I haven't counted an exact figure but it seems to typically be between 5>10 transitions before it will crash on the next loading screen you come to. This happens in Survival mode. The crash only occurs when going through doors which have a loading screen, and it's a PS4 blue screen of death. I have sent error reports when I get crashes using the PS4's report function.

The same issue happened to me when playing through Wintermute Redux, but strangely I only recall it happening when entering the final cutscenes in both Chapters. Restarting the game and reaching the end-point again from the previous save worked as a solution. In Survival the loading will work when you restart the game after the crash and enter the same area. It seems to me to point to some sort of flagging issue or memory leak.

It's particularly frustrating playing on Stalker Survival mode, because I can't make a manual save before each loading screen "just in case". Instead when you restart the game after the crash, it's back to the last Autosave for you, which can be a full day's worth of progress if you've been trekking across the wilderness before finally reaching a building where it crashes when you try to go inside.

I don't think I'm the only one getting these crashes and wanted to raise awareness of the issue and how annoying it is. Thanks.

I play on PS4 and have experienced the the same exact problems with chapter transitions in Wintermute, it was particularly annoying when it happen twice in a row with the transition, without giving things away, in the cave near the end of episode 2. I had it happen twice going from chapter 1 to 2 but I just made a save at the exit of the cave before I left to get past it. 

I haven't had this happen to me in Survival only in Wintermute, but then again I am pretty much just living out of Mystery Lake atm so have't done lots of zone transitions in one sitting.

I have narrowed down the cause of the crash - Pleasant Valley and transitioning between certain regions. 

I have been playing some new survival games on Coastal Highway and Desolation Point. This included a run from Coastal through Ravine to Mystery Lake, then winding river to Pleasant Valley. The game never crashed once in 2 or 3 evenings of play in these regions (including entering and exiting hundreds of buildings). However, it did crash on one of the region transition loading screens, I think it was the Winding River to the Cave one, or the Cave to the Pleasant Valley one.

I found another thread from last year which also cites crashes in Pleasant Valley on PS4: 

I'm linking to this thread from the technical forum (which I just discovered) to raise awareness.

Archived