Partial harvest for tree limbs

Stone

I never harvest tree limbs because (on interloper) its so cold I'd need to light a fire by the limb, a hot fire, and that could get blown out while I'm cutting, so all in, its just not worth it... :( ... but if I could choose to cut off one piece of fir from that three piece limb, a bit like taking one gut at a time from a deer, then... well, lets just say it would be party time for me and my improvised hatchet :hatchet: :D

I'd like to see tree limbs be worth more than 3 wood each as well.  My head cannon is that they are simply too large to be dragged through the snow to a campfire; so we're just really chopping off bits and pieces anyways.  The thing is, the game currently doesn't bear this out because the limb just disappears after removing 3 wood.  It would be nice if it stayed there for a few more hacks at it.

31 minutes ago, Stone said:

@UpUpAway95 good point. Its weird that you can't pick one up whole but you could carry four of five chopped up.

My head canon for not being able to pick them up is that they are actually very large tree limbs (I live in the rural countryside and we have ones that have come down from our trees that easily weigh 150-200 lbs).  The limbs in the game have also been lying on the ground for some time, becoming frozen in place over time.  With snow falling every couple of days, the snow around them is actually quite deep, so you're not going to be able to drag the entire limb any distance at all.  I've ridden trail (horseback) in the mountains in Alberta in winter and even the horses become exhausted very quickly when plowing through chest-deep snow drifts.  Therefore, it makes sense for the survivor to chop off bits and pieces from them where they are, limiting his/her exposure to the elements to as short a time as possible.  Currently, what doesn't fit with my head canon is the small amount of wood that we get from each limb and that the limb instantly disappears after we chop on it just once.

Archived