Terrain How?

Ice Hole

So while out for a stroll I notice something on the screen change which then made me wonder if I am starting to hallucinate. 

5c2ff5c9866d9_screen_(9052421643)_773621fa-c35c-4e7e-acad-cc05abf7d829.thumb.png.291083302c723da0f1fa124bc09d9ae2.png

So I then back up and then this boulder popped right back into existence, like magic. 

5c2ff5bc84937_screen_(9082401636)_33a6db1f-eb6d-49f2-bd6a-abed0890be6a.thumb.png.4d098f65e4df2b7bfb3ea9b7a0620014.png

The effect is observed further away as if a line is drawn along the river and stepping to one side updates the terrain.  The bridge also looks different.  Very curious as to why the terrain is being updated in this manner.  Bug report is sent.  Anyone that can explain the technical details is very appreciated.

Has anyone ever seen this type of activity before?

Guest kristaok

That’s really strange, I don’t think I’ve seen this before, but then again I haven’t been really alert due to lack of sleep from insomnia. 

Guest jeffpeng

Came accross that very boulder myself.

What I do suspect is that there actually are different "versions" of terrain depending on how far away you are, basically a LOD effect. And there are several instances in Mountain Town where those two versions simply are out of sync.

13 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

there actually are different "versions" of terrain depending on how far away you are, basically a LOD effect.

Thanks.  Appreciate the insights because the technical details to me are interesting.  There was a video I just watched on the different styles of casting a 3d environment and that information makes me want to learn more of the details.

Just now, Morrick said:

kept alive through a simulation generated by a device called the Greenwood machine

That explains quite a lot.  I woke up one morning and the town of Milton was somehow so much different.  :)

Archived