Interloper Wolf Struggel Analysis

grossbier

Hi fellow Interlopers and Corpses-by-Wolves!

I, like most of the Interlopers, mostly die of Wolves. That being said, i avoid them at all costs. if im being stalked i try back off and walk away. When im cornered i drop a decoy. When i dont have one i start a fire. I dont panic or run away and when i see a wolf stalking, i am almost alway able to avoid an attack. But the real horror are the ninja Wolves. Sometimes i think they just spawned right next to me, but i guess i just overlooked them (on ridges/canyons etc).

Now with that in mind i only have one solution when i go into territory with dangerous wolves in it ( Quonset garage/Broken Railway, wtc), I have to be best equipped for a (for my runs) inevitable struggle. 
I roamed the forums and found that these factors will make a difference:

- How high is my exthaustion

- How hungry am i

- Struggle Weapon (best seems to be the hammer, and im just talking about scaring the wolf off, i dont need him dead)

- Protection of the clothes.

Now when i want to explore (or think about exploring a dangerous area) what should i aim for exactly? I want to know the calculation of the odds of winning a struggle. Do i need for example 80% cond 50% hunger and 50% fatique?

Does Thirst and warmth take a role in the struggle too?

Anyone have a specific formular of what to aim for when entering such areas?

any help will be appriciated, so i wont die to ninja wolves again :-)

3 hours ago, grossbier said:

Anyone have a specific formular of what to aim for when entering such areas?

any help will be appriciated, so i wont die to ninja wolves again :-)

Welcome to the forum my friend @grossbier.
The tactics you describe are exactly what is needed, and the list you posted is very good.
Imagine you are "wolf bait", (and then try to minimize what will attract wolves).

• Do not be loud by running, slamming car doors, and prying trunks open.
  • Do not be smelling like meat, (carry only small cooked decoys).
  • Do not travel while over encumbered, (wolves stalk slightly slower than full walking speed).
  • Do not attempt to travel while injured, (treat sprains to wrists and ankles).
  • To be prepared for possible (2) wolf attacks condition may need to be > 70%, (Depending on clothes).
  • Being well fed and rested is ideal, (carry weight decreases quickly with fatigue).
  • Saving a match and loosing a wolf struggle is a negative return, (we tend to hoard road flares anyway).

Even the best escape plan must also be practiced to be quick and efficient:
( 3 > S > 2 > 2 > RMB, [press and hold] > RMB, [release] … yelp )

• Press #3 key to drop decoy, (even if you loose a steak).
  • Press S key to walk backwards and align the decoy with wolf, (if archery level-5...crouch).
  • Quickly Press #2 key to select weapon, (bow with high archery skill may be best).
  • Aim arrow tip just beyond the decoy, (and wait for wolf's head).
  • Fire arrow at wolf's nose to anticipate the animal's forward movement.

You are well on your way to mastery, and the game is constantly changing the exact formula.

PS: Bear skin coat helps to repel wolves.
PPS: Moose hide cloak provides huge protection from attack damage.

What is wrong in this screenshot?

The safer route is up on the ridge to the left...and the weather is not harsh enough to decrease wildlife.

20180327172451_1.thumb.jpg.8e3d3c2f57001114476a9cd3cae429e6.jpg

There is much missing from this reply, but you will soon dominate those ninja wolves my friend. :coffee:

Thanks for the replay and the tips.

I think the most important one is practising the quick fire making. Its the only reliable wolf scare as it seems. And i do have to do it VERY quickly, because usually when i die from a wolf i hear him just running towards me for 1 or 2 seconds (looking at you Broken Highway Ninja Dog)).

regaring those points i do have some questions:

- Do not be smelling like meat, (carry only small cooked decoys).

What is the ideal bait for wolves? I used to carry one fresh gut with me at all times for bait. It just gives me one "smell" indicator and i dont really need all this gut. is it maybe better to carry a small amount of meat? Secondly, i dont think bait is a really good counter to wolves, as when they charing you, they ignore the bait. Im pretty good at evading and loosing a stalking Wolf (even without bait). I never get attacked that way. The real trouble are the ninjas. Maybe i shouldnt carry any bait with me?

- Do not travel while over encumbered, (wolves stalk slightly slower than full walking speed).

being overencumbered may slow me down and makes more noise than otherwise, but as i said im pretty confident in loosing stalking wolves. Does overencumberance factor to the struggle capabilities? If so then i will NEVER be encumbered again when going into wolf land :-)

- Being well fed and rested is ideal, (carry weight decreases quickly with fatigue).

So the higher my hunger meter the better? or does it depend on the status description (full / peckish, etc)? Does anyone know? Also, does the "well fed" bonus factor to the struggle or does it just help with carrying capacity?

The my other questions (if anybody else does know this :-) ):

- Is warmth a factor for the struggle? This would vey much change the way ill approach a trip through dangerous territory. 

Can someone reliable survive a struggle in interloper (ie save scumming and trying a struggle again and again with certain equipments)? I plan to make some tests myself if im back on track with my next loper run, but it would be nice if someone can help with some infos (% Protection of clothes, % warmths / hunger/ exthaustion / thirst / encumberance, weapon, etc).

thanks again for all the good tips @s7mar7in:D

35 minutes ago, grossbier said:

practising the quick fire making. Its the only reliable wolf scare as it seems.

A jump-scare wolf attack may be a different discussion, but if you hear a wolf there is usually time for this:
Look at the ground  and press #4 key > click RMB > click [Start Fire], (a successful fire is not needed to repel the wolf).

Maybe i shouldnt carry any bait with me?

The scent bars are often debated, (my speculation is that less than 0.5% of the first scent bar may be displayed as none).
Also, the cooked 0.1 kg. piece(s) of meat is just my habit to reduce scent and avoid accidental food poisoning.
Use the ESC key when eating cooked meat as the progress meter reaches 95%, (this will provide a good supply of decoys).

my other questions (if anybody else does know this :-) ):

My game tactics while in known wolf infested areas is to keep all indicators out of the red, (the exact game mechanics are changing and I do not try to know them).

Best of luck my friend. :coffee:

Archived