The get your spear encounter *SPOILER*

Zero_Duck

I have 150+ hours of Survival mode in Voyager and Stalker. I've loved every tension filled minute.

But, the ordeal of getting your spear back in Episode II betrays all the other gameplay moments I've had so far. First of all, it's TEDIOUS. I had to replay the same thing seven times, try dodging the omniscient bear seven times, get mauled seven times, and watch the beatdown cutscene seven times. OMG, that bear mirrored my every move whether he was facing me or not. The monotony killed what could have been a white-knuckle experience. Just so tedious. It's a big dark cave, can I just be careful and sneak around the bear, get my spear, and have a boss fight? Nope.

Second, after killing the bear my character apologizes to the bear? What kind of SJW writing is that? If I don't have the right to defend myself against this four legged killer that has stalked me across three regions and the better part of a week, when is it okay to defend yourself? Are you afraid of a bears rights activist group boycotting TLD? Then, Will refers to himself as a murderer?!?

I never played the story before the redux. Maybe it wasn't like this before, maybe it was. But I must say, that whole scenario was the weakest part of the game by far. Not only did you make me go round and round and round with that all-knowing bear, then you made me feel like one of the criminals headed for Blackrock when it was over.

Sorry for the length of the post, but that encounter needs to be rewritten Hinterland. The rest of the game, Survival and Story, is simply excellent. The "get your spear back" part... not so much.

I had a couple issues at first until I discovered all the little nooks and crannies you're supposed to crouch and walk into. The bear can't follow you into them and then gives you space.

As for the "I'm sorry" part, It was pretty jarring, but I remember that gut feeling I got when I shot my first animal bigger than a rabbit irl. Only thing is, by that time the player could've killed countless wolves, deer, rabbits etc and that bear has killed countless other humans so I cant really see why he'd feel that way. They wouldve been used to it.

He's right though, it was such a magestic creature, but we're talking about the Old Bear here: a freight train of hate and hunger wanting to eat you, its either you or them.

Something simple like, "If only it didn't have to come to this" wouldve worked much better.  But overall I found this bear fight Much more enjoyable and memorable!

Archived