Improvements to the food system

codfish107

I have been thinking about this for awhile. As i can remember it, the food system is the only thing that hasn't had any large changes/overhauls to it. The cooking system has changed (for the better might i add), but nothing else related to food/calories has.

My idea for a change doesn't have to do with starvation (at 1%/hr, i think it's fine that you can last 4+ days), but to add a a nutrition system to go along with the calorie count. There would be four nutrient types; sugar, fat, fiber, and protein. Each one would be counted as a value of 1-10 with foods either having a +1 in two types or a +2 in one type. You would lose 1 value of each type per 24 hrs. You would not lose any condition from any of them being at 0, you would only lose condition from starving.

There would be different bonus/penalty effects for what level you have each type at.

10 would be a moderate bonus, 8-9 would be a minor bonus, 3-7 would be no effect (as this would be considered the "normal" range), 1-2 would be a minor penalty, and 0 would be a moderate penalty. Sugar could effect your stamina or tiredness, fat could effect for FL temp or physical protection, fiber could effect recovery or risk of illness from food, and protein could effect carrying weight or something in a struggle.

The idea of this is bring change/something new to the food system that's more than just calorie counting and to bring a little extra challenge, especially to those the late game when there is only meat and cattails. The idea isn't to make the game harder by inducing further food related condition lost or to add severe penalties for being at 0 on something.

Any thoughts?

I think it'd require some additions to the foraging options so that you can eat more non-meat in the long games.

But I like the idea overall - especially low nutritional values having negative impacts (or being well fed having positive impacts) on your other activities.

Any fleshing out of the food and nutrition system would be welcome from my point of view.

Archived