New challenge idea for challenge mode

Brock Hiebert

You start at the campground in Coastal Highway, you are tasked with surviving a week at the campground by collecting wood, food and other resources to help you at night. In the challenge, you are unable to craft campfires and can only access a single burnt out fire from the campground. This makes it so you have to stick close to the area and plan your actions accordingly. By the time night falls packs of wolves will close in on your location in an attempt to kill you, you need to collect enough wood to start a fire to last the night and fend them off by using torches, flares, etc. Wolves can spawn during the day but will not roam in packs and are easier to avoid. Resources will be more plentiful in cars, trucks, corpses, carcasses, containers and fishing huts at the cost of all interior buildings being inaccessible. There will be no blizzards or extremely cold weather in the challenge as it's primary focus is about surviving against the packs of wolves. By the time the seventh night rolls around, the mysterious aurora will appear. Armed with your flashlight, you need to make your way from the campsite to Desolation Point all while fending off the packs of wolves right on your tail. Once you leave the mine connecting the Crumbling Highway to Desolation Point, the challenge will be completed. 

I like it, but at the same time I don't. Haha, the main reason I don't is because I don't see myself doing it. I might try it once, but if I fail I'll probably never do it again, and the reason why is because you go through the week of surviving first, and then you have the risky/hard part of surviving during the aurora. At that point, failing would make me have to do the 7 days again. Some people might like that, I dunno, but for me I'd find it discouraging and not bother with it again. On the other hand, if the travel during the aurora part was first, and you went from DP to start with and had to survive the aurora in the beginning to make it to the camp, and then survive 7 days, I'd be less discouraged in trying again.

That's me though, I hate doing stuff over again. lol

5 hours ago, Soul Sojourner said:

I like it, but at the same time I don't. Haha, the main reason I don't is because I don't see myself doing it. I might try it once, but if I fail I'll probably never do it again, and the reason why is because you go through the week of surviving first, and then you have the risky/hard part of surviving during the aurora. At that point, failing would make me have to do the 7 days again. Some people might like that, I dunno, but for me I'd find it discouraging and not bother with it again. On the other hand, if the travel during the aurora part was first, and you went from DP to start with and had to survive the aurora in the beginning to make it to the camp, and then survive 7 days, I'd be less discouraged in trying again.

That's me though, I hate doing stuff over again. lol

I understand where it could become frustrating in some areas, I think a good way to fix that problem would be to have a part 1 and 2 like the hunted challenges to act as a sort of checkpoint between the 7th day and the night of the aurora just in case the player does die and have to restart entirely.

Archived