Tinder as bad firewood after level 3 fire starting.

Chrysoprace

Just one possibly original suggestion.... 

-Let us use tinder plugs, and maybe also newspapers, as bad firewood, even if only worth a minute. After you no longer need them at level three fire starting they just accumulate whenever you cut cedar, and I would burn them even just to get rid of them.

...and a few you have almost certainly heard already.

-A crafted hat is needed badly.  
-A thermos would be awesome - hot coffee to go!
-Combining lantern fuel would be nice. Let us pour it into jerrycans, and also maybe a way to drain lanterns for their fuel.
-Perhaps make auroras slightly more common and/or regular? Waiting for an aurora three times (twice for the cache and once for the end of episode 2) was just tiresome after the first ten days or so. 
-As a software engineer by training I know this last one would be the most difficult, but maybe a way to "jump" or climb over minor obstacles - not being able to step over a guard rail or the curb outside of the old store in Pleasant Valley drives me insane. 

I think all chances to start a fire, across the board, should be lowered by 5-10%.  Then have tinder always increase the fire starting chance by that 5-10%.  That way, even though past level 3 you don't absolutely need it, it will still have functional value.

I also like the 25% faster starting time with tinder after lvl 3 that Kayosiv proposes.

I agree with you guys on tinder.

After level 3 tinder used to start a fire should give a small increase to the chance.

I'd actually set it up so 'extra tinder' is like 'accelerant'  At level 1-2 you HAVE to use tinder, but if you also use 'extra' tinder you get +2%.  Post level 3, your only tinder use would be 'extra'

After a fire starts, you should be able to add tinder just like any other fuel.  The Tinder should add 2 minutes burn time.

An EVEN BETTER method would actually be for the type of tinder to have some small impact on fire starting chance.

Tinder Plug = +2% starting +2 minute burn time

Cattails = +3% starting, +1 minute burn

Paper = +3% starting, +1 minute burn

Birch Bark = +2% starting, +1 minute burn

News sheet = +3% starting, +4 minute burn time. 

Newspaper role = +5% starting, +8 minute burn time

Newspaper is set up to increase burn time same amount regardless of if it is processed, but investing in process time either gives you more 'chances' to start the fire initially or a slightly better chance if you are using 'extra'.

Archived