Late Game Content Ideas

Jdavis30

One of the only downsides to the Long Dark is that the concept of survival can become tedious when there are no goals to strive for other than not dying to the cold. I believe this is a totally new area for content creation that could really take this game from really good to amazing. 

One idea I think would fit in flawlessly is an upgrade system. I must admit that this concept is not my own and I first heard the streamer and youtuber Atheenon speak about it. This new content could utilize a skill, "crafting", and over time could be given different tiers of improvement with levels in the Crafting skill. Experience would be given to the player after crafting any sort of equipment or tools. This means that with additional time and resources you could improve your tools, weapons, and clothing. These requirements and materials should be difficult to obtain and should give bonuses relative to the skill level. It could make tools faster, stronger, and last longer while giving clothing better bonuses with less weight. The upgrades would take time and materials which would give more purpose to the naturally excessive gathering and stashing of resources the player does anyway. Giving a risk of over-investment into upgrades could land players into sticky situations in terms of food, water, matches, or clothing and, therefore, add a new layer of challenge to the player in the realm of resource management.

There are infinite possibilities in this arena so I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. Maybe Hinterland will even see something they like and add it to the game  :)!

• 2 weeks later...

New things to do is always a welcome addition to game play but how much can be added before you conquest the new skills, etc??

I believe Boredom is the hidden challenge to overcome. While “boredom” itself can happen very quickly depending on mode, you either start anew or keep trudging. 

I have a Loper run of about 1200 days. Sure you can say wow 1200 days on Loper but I find it to be extremely boring. BUT in that is the challenge. Am I able to keep my wits about me and engage in the basic day to day activities? How long can I keep going? Indefinite survival is possible so it’s a matter of my will to keep pushing through...

dont get m wrong I would welocme new things to do but there is challenge if your willing to endure the long boredom....

Archived