For when you are forced to stay inside

Yasai

Hi folks, just started playing the game (survival) a couple of days ago after about an hour in the story mode and I'm still learning, which is a lot of fun. I am now at day 13 on a beginner's map.

I am currently forced to stay inside my hut during the daytime with the reason being three wolves apparently taking advantage of the rabbits' habitat that is my yard. Other reasons I've experienced so far were a dangerously low condition two days ago (which would have made it impossible to survive an attack) and also the occasional blizzard.

Now the thing is, I run out of indoor chores and activities rather quickly, have no reason to sleep and wouldn't want to take risks (e.g. by trying to go outside anyway) just to make things more interesting since that would be beside the point of the experience (I guess this would be less of a problem on more challengingly set-up survivals but I'm not there yet)

So here's my idea (honestly it must have been brought up before but just in case):

How about you find some (classic) literature (be it prose or poem) with an entirely uncomplicated copyright status and place a handful of actually readable books inside the game? I'm talking about complete literary works. Let me read them, let time pass as usual an maybe implement some kind of bookmarking. Two or three different works would probably be enough and then have a couple of copies placed randomly on the map. I know I would read them and keep reading them whenever the occasion would arise :) and I believe that's something I would actually do in that kind of a situation

Wish you guys all the best with your genuinely intriguing project and really looking forward to how the game is developing in the future!

Interesting idea. Texts would have to be from the 19th century or earlier to make sure that the copyright has expired worldwide (see worldwide cpyright expiry here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries'_copyright_lengths). But there are many interesting old texts which would fit the tone of the game. Take "The Last of the Mohicans", published in 1826 - its author, James Fenimore Cooper, died in 1851. That should be long enough to ensure that they are public domain worldwide. 

Archived