New area: mining camp

Temper225

I believe that a small/large mining camp would be a very interesting addition to TLD.

It would have a couple of homesteads for the past workers and a couple of broken down trucks.

The homestead could have basic supplies and sometimes rare supplies.

There could be new items added such as:

-miners cap (lantern): an alternative source of light, like a lantern but worn, uses same fuel as lantern.

-Dynamite?

-spiked boots: climbing hills faster (uses less calories?)

Tell me what you think

Spiked boots are a good idea, but in this climate snowshoes would be more ideal, since spiked boots are better for icy terrain, where you need grip. Spiked boots would just sink into the ground, whereas snowshoes distribute your weight across the snow surface, reducing the sinking effect.

MIning helmets are all electric these days, since a burning light source would be lethal in a mine (methane gas build up can be triggered by the flame and explode) so since the early 20th century, we've moved onto electronic lighting, which sadly wouldn't work in TLD ( in theory). I'm not sure what you would use Dynamite for, and usually you would find that more in a quarry than a mine. Mines tend to use controlled plastic explosives and shaped charges.

As an alternate idea, you consider it as an oil sand processing facility, since Canada is famous for it's oil sands in the Athabasca and Peace River regions.

I didn't think of snowshoes but that is a better idea. Maybe they would grant a increased walking/sprinting speed?

It could be anything related to the main thing, doing something for resources. So it could be a huge quarry all the way down to a little frozen water mill (that would be cute).

Dynamite was just an idea because it would be cool to see something destructible in TLD.

As for the mining cap eh

I'm not warming up to the idea of mining camp just yet. I agree with EternityTide here, what would you do with dynamite? Even if a fuel burning helmet lantern could be found, I don't think I'd use it. Fuel and a flame on my head, now there's an accident waiting to happen.

The spiked boots may have some merit, but I'd rather have snowshoes.

Ohoh I think there is a LOT you can do with dynamite. Like blowing up things, and get to hidden places. Or even open up the passage to another map, ok perhaps that's too gamey but if all else fails one could open up the collapsed railway tunnel or something like that.

We should know how these things can work from Fallout: 1. you need a rope to enter elevator shafts 2. you need rubber boots against radioactivity 3. you need dynamite to open collapsed tunnels and locked doors

Mining camp sounds like a great idea but I am afraid in the short term the devs have most of the places already locked and are not looking for more suggestions. But in the long term, they can't hurt!

As an alternate idea, you consider it as an oil sand processing facility, since Canada is famous for it's oil sands in the Athabasca and Peace River regions.

They've also got some big diamond mines in the Great Slave Lake region. Wouldn't that be funny: you find diamonds, but you die of hypothermia!

Archived