Storyline suggestion (I know the story's not out yet)

EternityTide

After discussing/debating/arguing with A-z-booka about the mechanics of a geomagnetic disaster, I had a few thoughts regarding the cause of said disaster.

Perhaps the storyline followed the concept that this sudden death of all our technology was not wholly natural.

Suppose the initial trigger was man-made.

Suppose that a military experiment, far up north went drastically wrong.

The Military had no idea that their timing could have been so wrong.

When they detonated the high yield nuclear device 40 kilometres up in the mesosphere, they set their instruments to listen for the EMP signature they hoped would be their domination weapon, their means to wipe out a country's infrastructure and leave it ripe for subduing by their invading forces.

What they got back was more than they bargained for.

In a drastic twist of fate, the detonation coincided with the eruption of a massive solar flare, which normally would have bounced clean off the Earth's protective magnetic field in a sparkle of aurora. Only this time, it didn't.

The nuclear blast had sufficiently weakened the geomagnetic field at a crucial point, so that when the flare hit, the guardian of humanity, the silent archangel that had hung over our heads so long, protecting us from the harsh energies of the cosmos, shattered.

The magnetic field now lying in a chaotic twist of ruins, the tide of solar wind swept over the Earth's surface, scouring humanity's technological might from the planet, razing down power grids and computer systems, cell towers and satellites. In the confusion that followed, few were prepared for the worst to come. The long dark.

First off, nicely written. It's a good plot.

After discussing/debating/arguing with A-z-booka about the mechanics of a geomagnetic disaster, I had a few thoughts regarding the cause of said disaster.

Perhaps the storyline followed the concept that this sudden death of all our technology was not wholly natural.

Suppose the initial trigger was man-made.

Suppose that a military experiment, far up north went drastically wrong.

The Military had no idea that their timing could have been so wrong.

Did you ever watch the TV series Revolution? You just pretty much summed up their first season, except it wasn't an EMP but some other man made weapon. (don't want to spoil too much, so not going into more detail here)

I really liked Revolution but it is a bit over the top/ unrealistic at times.

[spoil]just a few good guys being able to take on 10x as many bad guys[/spoil]

But it's still a great series and I enjoyed it very much. Hope they will make a 3rd season.

Another great series is the British "Survivors". It's about an outbreak of a very deadly virus that kills 90+% of the population. Not very violent (unlike Revolution) but very exciting none the less.

Archived