My Thoughts

SnowWalker

I think, although I had so much fun playing Wintermute, that we felt a little disappointed that the story wasn't, over-the-top compelling. The trailers were filled with mystery and intrigue, as was survival mode. We were expecting 'Gone With the Wind' or 'Citizen Kane' or something. So, we got our expectations up way, too high because of our adoration of the survival mode game we've been playing for so many years.
In the end, it's just a game, like any other. Buggy like many, other games on launch and difficult at times. The story is quite decent and game-play is mostly fetch quests - but fetch quests is what it has always been all along. So why did we expect something different?
Lower that expectation bar, just a bit, and we're left with a pretty darn, fun game to play.
Still beautiful and breathtaking, still intriguing and mysterious and still, The Long Dark.

Exactly my friend, what were we expecting? Raids? Sure no, not raids but I didn't put my expectations too high for the gameplay part because I knew it would be like this. And you are right, I've been telling people the same thing. Survival Mode is not that different than Story Mode. In Survival Mode we've been doing fetch quests all this time, just at our own pace. And without a need to progress because the fetch quests there IS the progression. I think what everyone DID expect WAS a Sandbox-like game. And we were told it would be different. We just didn't know how to perceive that really. We expected Sandbox Mode but since we knew it would be Story we saw it in a different light. 

I think going forward we can expect differently perhaps? 

1 hour ago, Fuarian said:

I think going forward we can expect differently perhaps? 

Not sure if you mean it will be different than the fetch quests or not but either/or, I'll be playing it and hoping for answers. I don't necessarily need a good ending either. Whether or not Will saves the day, or that all hope is lost in the end matters little to me. Just that we'll know the whole story in the end.
I was thinking also that too bad Will didn't do a little match making and hook Jeremiah up with Mother, lol.

Archived