is Spear in the horizon?

Strategizer

Just started playing so forgive me for not reading the entire site yet :smileface:

Is a Spear on the drawing board?  I think it would be a nice addition and would fit very nicely into the theme of the game.  It would do slightly more damage than bow and arrow only at mêlée range, this damage game balanced by the fact you have to get very close to your target.  You could throw it, a MUCH shorter distance than the bow for less damage.  You would need to craft it and repair it like other items.  

Thanks for reading.

Only Hinterland can answer your question. In terms of gameplay, I think it would be a fantastic addition to the game. You can already forge iron arrowheads and knifes, and a spearhead is not so different (at all). Also, if you can fletch arrow shafts - which I assume is a very delicate and complicated thing to do -, making a shaft for a spear should be a piece of cake. 

Damage is not really a factor when killing in this game.  Mostly it's a system of random dice rolls and timers.  So your "spear" would just be a graphical variation of the bow.

If you are suggesting that another large ranged weapon might be available using more primitive means, know that they have gone to great lengths to make arrows and bows difficult because it balances the game better that way.  Stones exist to be the entry level projectile and also fit well I think.

It would be nice to have a close range melee option that doesn't involve "let the wolf tackle me and then start stabbing it".  

Plus you can't do that with deer.  Eventually you run out of maple sticks and bullets - it would be nice to have a sharp pointy stick to hurl and keep hunting viable.

Ha! This is exactly why my husband mocks me and the game every time he sees me playing.

"Have they added the spear yet?"

I understand why the devs have not introduced it - it is way too easy to make if you have a good knife; you do not even need anything like an arrowhead, just sharpen a long stick. Then 'bake' the sharpened end in fire and voila! 

If they wanted to make it more difficult, we could make a spear by attaching a knife to it; we would need more resources: a cured sapling, a knife and some rope or cured gut. That would pose a question - do I want to get rid of a spare knife?

Archived