While Boiling Water

elloco999

You'll be playing the game soon, so why don't you come back and share your notes once you have. That way we're not talking about theory and what the game seems like it should be based on "real life", and more about what the experience actually is. :)

So I played the game quite a bit now. And I don't feel like things take too long, but it does irk me that I have to stand by the stove while boiling water. For small amounts it's not an issue, but if I boil 5 liters of water (I'm assuming here that I have a metal container large enough in the game) I could harvest newsprints for tinderplugs, repair my clothes or do any number of other small tasks. Or even do larger tasks/ leave (for foraging wood outside?) and retrieve my boiled water later.

I can live with being locked out while foraging for wood or even melting snow because those are actions where I'd actually be doing something during that time, but while boiling water there is no reason for me to stand there and watch the bubbles form in the water.

Also related to being locked out while melting, boiling, cooking; I'd very much like to have at least the option to add wood to the fire while performing these tasks. It is very frustrating to see your fire die out because while boiling the last .5L or cooking the last piece of venison. Surely these tasks are not taking up my attention to such an extend I can't even add a piece of wood to the fire (if I have them in inventory of course)?

And I still think a difficulty setting would be a good idea, not just for players who don't want the level of challenge TLD offers now (or when it's finished), but possibly also for new players to lessen the rather steep learning curve.

So I played the game quite a bit now. And I don't feel like things take too long, but it does irk me that I have to stand by the stove while boiling water. For small amounts it's not an issue, but if I boil 5 liters of water (I'm assuming here that I have a metal container large enough in the game) I could harvest newsprints for tinderplugs, repair my clothes or do any number of other small tasks. Or even do larger tasks/ leave (for foraging wood outside?) and retrieve my boiled water later.

A test for you to try (actually, for safety reasons, probably not a good idea to try):

Put a pot of water on your stove, and set to boil. Come back an hour later and see how much is left ;)

If I'd do that on my electrical stove, I'd set the timer so it automatically shuts down... On the in game wood stoves, you could regulate the amount of fuel you'd put in the stove. And if I did put a liter of water on the stove to boil and leave it on there too long with plenty of fuel in the stove, I wouldn't mind if the game gave me a realistic result (as in no or little water left).

Anyway, there's still no reason to let me do other stuff near the stove while the water boils, is there? While making tinderplugs or repairing my clothes, I could easily take the water of the stove once it starts to boil.

I have an electric water boiler I use for making tea. It only takes a minute to boil the water I need. Still I do not stand around waiting for the water to boil. I put the water on first, then I get the cups and the tea. So when the water boiler shuts off I can pour immediately. And that's just 1 minute I don't like to waste while time is not really an issue for me IRL. In TLD time is very important, standing around the stove for an hour waiting for the water to boil is an hour (or at least 50 min) I could have spent better..!

Archived