I wish for cured items to weigh less than uncured items.

JoE Smash

That is today's wish on the wish list. I am sure this has been mentioned before me, but I read a lot about curing animal hides to get a feel for their water weight, and how much weight is typically lost through curing.

Based on what I read, this ultimately depends on how you cure the hides/guts. Whether you wet cure it with a salty brine solution, or you dry cure it with air....which is how we do it in game. (in either case we really should be using salt, lol)

Wet curing will typically reduce the weight of a hide by about 10-20%. Dry curing will reduce the weight by up to 50%.

Although I didn't research saplings, they should probably lose 10-20% in water weight.

So currently rabbit pelts weigh .10 kilos, deer hide weighs .50 kilos, wolf pelts weigh .75 kilos (not sure how wolf pelts weigh more than deer....I am pretty sure deer are like twice as large as a wolf), bear skin weighs 1.0 kilos, gut weighs .1 kilos, maple saplings weigh .30 kilos, and finally birch weigh .20 kilos.

After dry curing those items the weight should be reduced significantly. Rabbit should be .05 kilos, deer .25 kilos, wolf .40 kilos, bear .50 kilos(maybe .60 kilos to make sense compared to wolf), guts like .07 kilos, maple .25 kilos, birch .15 kilos.

Items crafted from the cured materials should also be adjusted accordingly. Some of them already don't add up as it is. Rabbit mittens take 4 cured rabbit hide, which currently would weigh .4 kilos and two cured gut for an additional .2 kilos, which would total .6 kilos. Yet some how after trimming away excess rabbit and shaping them into mittens they gain a magical .4 kilos of material making them weigh 1.0 kilos. That can't all be from thread....I thought we used the gut for thread.

Currently the bow weighs .5 kilos which is the combined weight of a maple sapling (.30 kilos) and two guts (.10 kilos a piece). This is assuming none of the original maple sapling was trimmed off or sanded away, even though the art for a sapling depicts a stick with little branches coming off it and it appears to be at least three times as thick as the wood in the finished bow.

All of the crafted items seem heavier to some degree than the combined weight of the individual parts, and that is horrible when you consider that all the original parts when cured should weigh less in the first place.

It feels as if the curing of hides, and crafting of clothes was slapped together all willy-nilly with very little forethought or critical thinking. I am hoping this oversight will be addressed in a future patch. I am looking forward to my 1.50 kilo bearskin bedroll. ;)

http://www.fao.org/waicent/faoinfo/economic/faodef/fdef19e.htm

Screenshot_2017-07-07-23-05-24.png

51 minutes ago, JAFO said:

For some real fun, take a look at the difference between curing and tanning hides.. 
http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/TanningArticles/02/e/0269EFDDB4.html

And at the tanning method used by tribal peoples.. using the animals own brains, to tan its hide.
http://www.braintan.com/tanown/

And then think about how all that would apply to TLD!

Wozers...so what we do, curing, basically dries the hides and guts out and turns them into crunchy dog chews. They really wouldn't even be useful for crafting in their current state, unless it is assuming we are smearing the animal's brains all over everything during skinning, lol.

At least we could use all that birch bark for something else after getting to fire making 3, when we no longer need tinder.

10 minutes ago, Miniwizard said:

I can't believe I never noticed the weight discrencies of base materials vs finished item! :D Nice catch @JoE Smash

Holy crap, I thought for sure you'd be all over that crap....now maybe you understand why I complain about clothes and encumbrance so much. They are really sticking it to us with some of the clothes....especially the crafted stuff. The hides should weigh less when cured, thusly the crafted clothes should weigh far less than they currently do...

I guess I never really noticed because I simply accepted and expected that the warmer and more protective stuff would be the heaviest; their trade-off. It's also never really worried me too much as by the time I have a set of the crafted clothes, I am not carrying the rifle but the much lighter bow instead. Likewise, I will have already raided everywhere on the current map and have everything in a couple of key spots. Thus, my regular inventory weight is usually sitting around the 20kg mark, allowing the spare 10kg for collecting wood or harvesting a carcass etc.

Still, I am surprised that I never actually noticed this :)

Yeah the weights of clothes in this game in several cases are pretty ridiculous. The crafted stuff is the most ridiculous though....

Hopefully they'll go weigh clothes in real life at some point and adjust things accordingly...

Cured items should definitely weigh less than uncured items...you are removing the water weight, which lowers the weight significantly....

Archived