NIght time condensation ambience

FinalMyle

Good day,

First off I love this game. Weather is a bit much especially on the easier settings. Since the update I've survived 67 days and survived 37 blizzards in that time, that's over 50% of the time I've been alive. I think the houses would be under the snow by now. Mind you this is on Voyager and not Stalker or Interloper which in those modes weather should be more difficult. There's actually a few things with this game that in my opinion, as a long time gamer need to be fixed but, I'll get into all of those things in a different post. This one is about night time and the ambience of both the snow fall/flakes and the condensation that the character exhales.

Neither adjust with the ambience of the surroundings at all. Out at night it looks like my character is wearing a head lamp with it turned on and the light from it is illuminating my breath. During the day it isn't noticeable because everything else is just as bright but, at night -- that needs to be toned down. Unless you're going to add in a head lamp, but, honestly I like the light sources the way they are.

Great game you all!

I also noticed when you are out at night, your breath plume actually reveals the world to a small degree. I've used my breath plume to find my way short distances to get back into a cabin, etc. This is on xbox one, not sure if it renders the same way on other platforms. Similarly you can look into the dark corners of a cabin by looking through the streams of light coming through the windows.

Also, speaking of responding to ambient conditions, I noticed at the Camp Office in ML there is a large flag hanging outside but this flag does not react to the gale force winds.

The steel flag of Canada! LOL yeah I've never noticed that before at least not on PC.

I should have noted that I do play the PC version of The Long Dark.

Have you stayed up after dark and all of your windows light up like it's light outside? It only happens after "dark" in the farm house in Pleasant Valley. All of the windows get this orange hue to them and project light. I thought at first, since this started after the new update that it might be the aurora we've all heard so much about so I ran outside, giddy as a school boy and the sky was just full of stars, nothing more. I threw a few rocks at the sky and then moped my way back inside. I haven't paid enough attention or been up after dark to notice this happening inside anywhere else.

I've only seen the Trapper's Lodge's windows glow after dark, never at the PV Farmhouse.  I should iterate that was also in gameplay, not just in the menu screen when I let it run til after sundown(which it will do, if you haven't discovered it. The Long Dark's menu screen is very dynamic.)

Don't fret, @FinalMyle, aurorae will appear in the night skies of sandbox when Wintermute comes.  The feature is just being held back for the big reveal and release of the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah the breath condensation needs adjustment. I've seen it discussed since the original launch! Not fixed.   Also it's several shades too dark inside houses at night. Once your eyes are adjusted you can see just fine under a clear moon. Doesn't Make sense that it's pitch black in all these buildings that have multiple windows 

Archived