Just a Few More Map Ideas

Dandy Platypus

I've been playing the long dark for a while and it's been really great witnessing it evolve around me and I take a large sense of pride of how well this game is doing on steam and on Xbox One. That being said, the game isn't finished yet (Probably not by a long shot) which means we still have plenty of time to change the map and the whole "island" if the stars align. So, i'd like to suggest areas and various ideas i'd like to see in the future. 

+An Air Strip: Now this is a little silly but i think it has genuine potential. Think about it, a large tower overlooking the Strip giving you a front row seat to the end of the world as we know it only identified and a large sign saying "Foloson Air Port". Lots of people will be trying to escape the cold and go somewhere south so lots of bodies would be there because most of them would have little avail. It would explain the crashed plane in Timberwolf Mountain. On the track you'd see one plane that you can board and loot but obviously not actually fly. And the it would make sense that the island would have an airstrip because i'm sure not everyone wants to boat there for a relaxing summer, and it be a change of atmosphere to have a large open space and plenty of time to explore.

+A Hospital(?): I cant remember from what or where i heard this idea so keep in mind its not mine but its a pretty damn good one. Now again, this seems like a necessity on an island but there isn't one yet. I think it'd be even better if it wasn't easily accessible, i don't mean hard to find but hard to get into, as in you can only enter during an aurora because the doors on some hospitals are electric and those wouldn't normally work during an electromagnetic disaster unless an Aurora was currently happening. Now let me set the scene: "The sky is in flames above you and the cold is suffocating, the only shelter you've found are a few scattered cars and you see a loose road sign promising a medical institute. You stumble in the bitter cold driven by fear of death.. and a speck of curiosity. As you approach you see bodies at the doors that have refused to open thus forsaken them. A few of cars parked crooked from panic and the place of a head on crash with bodies still in the car, frozen and preserved as if they are only waiting for you to wake them up. You approach the door, stepping over the bodies, and the lights that come from the sky allow the doors to open for you. You take in one more breath and a long look back before stepping into the dark pathway that could be your death." (i don't write and i tried being dramatic and edgy) From the Trailer you're told that the narrator worked in a hospital before the world fell so you could add some witty dialog like "Thanks for the paychecks.. not that it matters anymore" and so on and so fourth.

That's what i had mostly in mind but if i think of anymore and please do add onto this thread if you have the motivation to. Thanks for Reading.

I think both of these could show up on the same map. It could be a large community, like a full scale town site. I'll add my perspectives, if you don't mind. :)

I like the idea for the hospital, especially being only accessible during an Aurora event, both coming and going. If you're not careful you could be trapped in the hospital until the next Aurora, making the trips risky to get in and get out. There would be no place to build a fire, and depending on how long between Aurora's it could be several days before you get out.

A Big Box store, mostly looted of course but a source for food, clothing and survival gear. The higher the difficulty the more thorough it has been looted. Perhaps the risk of a bear spawn point like the wolf at the Dam site. Maybe the roof has collapsed, making it a sheltered but still outdoor environment like the stone church, and not so much loot as to unbalance the game.

Several houses (many boarded up, burned out, or frozen over, but still a few accessible,) Somewhere in the 20-25 count range, with accessibility depending on difficulty.

Air strip (nothing as fancy as a full blown airport, just a single runway and terminal.) The tease of a possible working airplane, but of course you would never be able to get it off the ground. Perhaps during an Aurora you can get it to start, but the wheels are frozen to the ground or the wings are iced over. Would be a nice nod to the fact that you are a trained pilot.

There could be a harbour with a ferry frozen just off shore, like the ship in DP. The ferry could be dangerous to reach with open water areas and weak ice all the way across, but could be a guaranteed spot for things like high end clothing and the flare gun.

A bountiful environment like that would have to come with a great deal of risk, however. It could be an open, beside-the-ocean map that is bitter cold and almost constant blizzard, or a new threat in the way of crashing tidal waves that give you instant hypothermia and could sweep you out into the ocean. Or perhaps a perpetual fog that gives near 0 visibility, with predators constantly lurking. The rate of cabin fever could be increased, as being surrounded by so many reminders of civilization would wear on your psyche. Of course it could go the other way and be a good 'beginner' map, full of great starting gear and relatively safe environments, but small and quick to run out of resources.

It's a good idea. Realistically, though, it should be a harder map, as like you mentioned about the supermarket bear, there would be at least 4-5, maybe more bears wandering the townsite. You would need to come prepared with a rifle and plenty of ammo, as "city slickers" would most likely not carry firearms in their house. On that thought, an actual city would be a very cool idea, with skyscrapers and streets full of cars and corpses. Of course, it would be tough to make, unless the skyscrapers weren't accessible. Which would ruin the fun. But it would also spoil the survival landscape, unless the city teemed with wolves and such. 

I kind of pictured the overall environment to be a small touristy island, with small quaint camping areas and lakeside cottages, but no real major centers. There is the 'Coastal Townsite' area, but one gas station and a handful of houses could hardly be sufficient. Since there is a whale processing plant there must have been workers, and that would require a place to live with a community to support. There appears to be a variety of industries on this island; with the farming, lumber, whaling and tourist attractions all presently abandoned. A main urban center would be required to support and provide for these rural areas. It wouldn't have to be large by any means, but what you would expect to support maybe a stable 1500-2000 population that could expand in peak times to accommodate upwards of 5000. We're not talking Toronto or New York by any means.

Once/if modding is implemented I'm sure people could generate large scale city maps and explore what this 'geomagnetic event' did to the major urban centers and not just focus on isolated and abandoned outer reaches.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed with Sliverhour

Hospitals and city centers would not be realistic due to the small nature of the island. A small airport, on the other hand, would be very interesting and would have lots of potential.

Maybe a more mountain filled map? I get we have TWM, but it would be nice to have more than just hills or flat land everywhere I walk

Archived