Shovels

romeotheepic

Interesting idea. Aside from bigger snow shelters, what else could it be used for? Single-purpose tools are, you have to admit, not a very efficient use of development resources. As @alone sniper pointed out, the model is in the game already. So, here's my bits of speculation:

• A weapon. Shovels are surprisingly effective against canine attackers. (Source: Own experience) Also painful when it hits people.
  • Moving materials such as coal or snow in bulk
  • Digging in the snow to find hidden entrances to basements or shelters
  • If the shovel is in fact a space, it could be included in the growing system once seasons come up (both are on the roadmap!)
  • In line with seasons, the shovel could be used to dig up edible roots and other hidden food items and other resources

10 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Interesting idea. Aside from bigger snow shelters, what else could it be used for? Single-purpose tools are, you have to admit, not a very efficient use of development resources. As @alone sniper pointed out, the model is in the game already. So, here's my bits of speculation:

• A weapon. Shovels are surprisingly effective against canine attackers. (Source: Own experience) Also painful when it hits people.
  • Moving materials such as coal or snow in bulk
  • Digging in the snow to find hidden entrances to basements or shelters
  • If the shovel is in fact a space, it could be included in the growing system once seasons come up (both are on the roadmap!)
  • In line with seasons, the shovel could be used to dig up edible roots and other hidden food items and other resources

Could we harvest coal from mine with shovel ??????? 

Just now, alone sniper said:

Could we harvest coal from mine with shovel ??????? 

Generally, no - or at least, not enough to make a difference. Coal is generally harvested with powered tools and explosives in underground mines, and freakishly huge excavators that look like the most ardent wish of cartoon villains* in the case of brown coal, which isn't very deep under the surface. Before the advent of jackhammers and the like, coal was mines using pickaxes, hammers and other 'archaic' tools and lots of sweat. Those are still used to an extent, but the bulk of mining is done with the aforementioned tools.

What a shovel could be useful for would be moving piles of coal, which could maybe accumulate over time, and to move charcoal if we ever get the chance to make it.

*Also has a theme song!

Archived