MRE Revamp

Northern Hunter

In my early days of playing TLD finding an MRE was like a godsend. It was a guarantee of food for at least a day, and it weighed barely anything. Finding an MRE in the early game was like finding a knife or hatchet, rare(ish) but it was something that was great to find. Now though when I am experienced and know my way around the map I can find around 4 MREs per map. With the coming food and cooking revamp I think MREs should be changed.

• First the MREs name should be changed to the Canadian alternative IMP (Individual Meal Pack).
  • The look of the MRE should also be changed to look like an IMP.
  • MREs should have different items within them so the can be used for different things, Peanut butter packets for baiting snares, 1 packet of tea and coffee, ect.
  • MREs should be able to be cooked or eaten normally.

Finding an MRE or IMP should be like finding the multi tool of food items. 

Below are some IMPs for reference.                                                                                                                      

imps3.jpg

Question, how available are IMPs for purchase? 

I don't recall ever seeing them for sale.  On the other hand, I see MREs for sale all the time.  To me, this makes it seem more natural to bump into MREs.  It's the type of thing survival nuts in all sorts of counties buy in large amounts.  It's also the kind of thing that many people with remote hunting/fishing cabins buy and put in there because it's food that lasts forever.  IMPs would only seem more logical in an area with an abandoned Canadian military camp.

I think the point of the MRE is what you described initially. It's enough calories for a full day's activities in a 50g pack. That's valuable enough. 

I thought the cooking revamp was mostly focused on making food prep at a stove/fire real time. Since MRE's are self contained it shouldn't necessarily impact them. 

9 hours ago, akodo1 said:

Question, how available are IMPs for purchase? 

I don't recall ever seeing them for sale.  On the other hand, I see MREs for sale all the time.  To me, this makes it seem more natural to bump into MREs.  It's the type of thing survival nuts in all sorts of counties buy in large amounts.  It's also the kind of thing that many people with remote hunting/fishing cabins buy and put in there because it's food that lasts forever.  IMPs would only seem more logical in an area with an abandoned Canadian military camp.

http://www.aasurplus.ca/surplus/product/419-canadian-military-mres-imps

Quite affordable if you ask me.

Archived