Frozen Items & Light Source Looting

vancopower

I think that some of the items we find in the open world should be frozen solid into the ground like in to a block of ice well not exactly a block but you get my point.  Especially if they are valuable items like matches, food, flares and so on. So in order to get them the survivor should melt away the ice, this would be a great opportunity to give flavor to the different light sources for example:

1.  Flare melts the ice in 5 min.

2. Torch melts the ice in 15 min.

3. Brand melts the ice in 30 min (you have to use 2 I guess since it will burn out)

4. Fire in close by melts the ice in 1 hour (since it is not direct)

5. Lamp does nothing.

Also when searching with a light source the survivor should get a chance at getting extra loot, but only small items like matches, flare, socks, all the bars firestriker , soda cans and so on.

1. Brand gives 15% chance.

2. Torch gives 30% chance.

3. Lamp gives 40% chance

4  Flare gives 60% chance.

Also a  Perception skill might be added which increases the percentage of looting with light sources.

I like the idea, but I'm not sure if it'll fit into the game difficulty properly.

Wasting a flare, a torch or just your time in the cold is a bit too risky if you ask me. Maybe make it require a tool to pick up, but needs time above freezing temp to thaw(or whatever the fancy english word is for melt the ice off)?

I could see items that are frozen into place being added, but I think it'd be more practical to use a tool to chip away at the ice rather than bother to light a flare/torch/brand and slowly melt the ice.

As for extra loot spawning when you use a light source, I feel it's already worth it using a light source in most situations; I usually miss some items when the room is dim.

2 hours ago, ponyhidden said:

I could see items that are frozen into place being added, but I think it'd be more practical to use a tool to chip away at the ice rather than bother to light a flare/torch/brand and slowly melt the ice.

As for extra loot spawning when you use a light source, I feel it's already worth it using a light source in most situations; I usually miss some items when the room is dim.

Yes but you will dmg the item for example if it is food you will brake the can and you have to eat it immediately :)

1 hour ago, togg said:

First idea is good. Second one no way. Feels like a random unclean thing, it's already perfect like this as ponyhidden said.

Well since most of the other tools are multipurpose I guess I would like for the light sources to be multipurpose, it gives the game ton of flavor. It puts you in to dilemma, should I use flare to melt this or save up for fighting wolves or going through containers, makes ton of different strategies and game-play styles  which will never get boring.   

Archived