The axe

Hiemalis

The axe. That mysterious, long-lost tool from ages gone by, hesitantly whispered about in old legends. What secrets does it hold? What miracles will it work?

Seriously though, I've thought about it once or twice and I still can't imagine what will its uses be. Calorie-wise, it doesn't make sense to chop a tree down if all you need is a few tree limbs, does it? So what other uses could it have? I guess it could be alternatively used to crack a fishing hole open, or perhaps be more efficient in harvesting wood from wooden fixtures, but is that it? Deer haunch, perhaps?

(This is a brainstorming thread mainly for speculation. That's why it's in the General Discussion forum.)

1 minute ago, Wastelander said:

As for actual axe uses, chopping down a few birches actually makes sense - chop one and you're set for weeks concerning firewood. Also, frozen carcasses? No probs!

I don't know, really. If that's all, the axe would already have been implemented in the game. What additional features/mechanics could the axe introduce? (Besides rapping. :excited:)

Just now, Hiemalis said:

I don't know, really. If that's all, the axe would already have been implemented in the game. What additional features/mechanics could the axe introduce? (Besides rapping. :excited:)

What, beating wolves in a rap-battle ain't enough for ya? :D 

Here's a few more ideas I had:

• Meleeing things more efficiently
  • Breaking down cars to scrap metal, in a process that takes days
  • Breaking down tree stumps into firewood
  • Really really REALLY ruining a bear's day
  • Breaking down burnt down buildings into firewood and possibly charcoal
  • Really bad Juggalo rap :D 

I imagine it will mostly be a heavier, faster, possibly more resistant version of the hatchet.

My hope is that the axe is our first version of a swingable weapon, that lets us take one lucky swing at a charging wolf or bear before they attack, with a chance to scare/kill before they do any damage.

Archived