Shotgun and A Sanity Meter

100_days_of_snow

Hey, 100_days, welcome to the forums!

I'm aware there's a few threads about shotguns, but I've never read them. (Because, I'll admit it, I have little interest in adding more weapons to the game.) What could be gained from adding a shotgun, in your opinion?

As for the sanity meter, there's already a "well-being system" in the roadmap, which means there's a possibility we'll see it in the future.

Sanity meters are sort of hit or miss for me, which is why I hope the upcoming wellbeing-system is different from them.

First of all, is sanity in a video game measurable? I mean, we're already doing some pretty insane things - fighting wolves in the nude, eating moldy peanut butter, starving ourselves and so on. Then, the lack of sanity, or insanity, is quite an outdated concept. People don't just "go insane" - extreme mental traumas, genetic disposition, substance abuse and so on can trigger a wide variety of mental disorders - personality disorders, depressions, PTSD and so on. Also, different people have different tresholds against mental trauma - some snap at the sight of a corpse while others just continue to do their job. That also has to do with "getting used to it" - medical professionals are much, much more used to the sight of the dead and the maimed than I am, for example. Firefighters often see horribly disfigured corpses. The point is: Sanity meters are very very, VERY hard to do right. A wellbeing-system might be easier to pull off, and quite frankly, it doesn't really exist outside of the Sims, maybe, so it'd be something new.

As for a shotgun - that's been discussed at least a dozen times before, and it's a rather....heated topic. Some, like @Hiemalis don't want to see more weapons, especially firearms, in the game for reasons I find perfectly understandable. Yet, I am still in the pro-shotgun faction simply because it makes sense. The usual concensus (correct me if I'm wrong) is that when the variety of firearms is increased, the number of firearms per sandbox should stay the same, but that's just my 2 cents and a bit of change I mooched off other people ;) 

Sanity(or some crap like that) in game like tLD, at least in sandbox mode(in Story mode were dealing with specific character with his view of the world, so its plausible, altho still meh), would be a total miss. It would be worse that 10 features like parasites combined. Complete and utter nonsense that would bite off a huuuge chunk from immersion. It would force player into some narrow and extremely primitive behavior pattern that would take away pretty much any type of personal approach and investment into character player plays. Its one thing when were dealing with universal conditions, like hunger and thirst, something that every1 needs, but its completely another when game enforces us to react in some predetermined manner to world, even if we consider it to be complete and utter bs.

And yes, we do need Remington 870.

I'm not actually against more weapons, I just have no strong argument in favor of them... I don't see what they would significantly add to our experience. Maybe shotguns would make some sense, since they function so diferently from a rifle. I personally would prefer to see a shotgun added before a revolver (as noted in the roadmap).

2 minutes ago, Hiemalis said:

I'm not actually against more weapons, I just have no strong argument in favor of them... I don't see what they would significantly add to our experience. Maybe shotguns would make some sense, since they function so diferently from a rifle. I personally would prefer to see a shotgun added before a revolver (as noted in the roadmap).

Please note that my post was in no way an accusation or anything like that, I just misread something - my bad. ^_^ And yeah, the difference in function is the appeal to me - right now, you find a rifle and you find ammo. How cruel (in a good sense) would it be to have a perfectly servicable rifle - but only shotgun shells and .38 rounds? :D

Archived