Multitasking

Larken

I haven't found where this has been mentioned, but I'm sure this has to annoy more than just me.  I find it very frustrating that the protagonist (me) insists on watching the pot until the water boils!  For me, this seems like the largest waste of time.  I understand that the passage of time when melting snow and boiling water changes from the normal passage of time, but it seems like you should be able to do something like cooking simultaneously since time passes at the same rate for that.  It seems like there should be a better means to melt snow as well.  Maybe filling a container and leaving it in a cave where ambient temperature is above freezing.  Or sacrifice heat bonus in your bed and allow body heat to melt it to conserve fuel or at least matches.

One thing I do like is how harvesting a kill takes longer if it is frozen.  I like the realism of that, even though it usually results in me freezing, unless I build a fire next to the carcass first.  The one wish I have related to this, however, is that I wish you could just stuff a rabbit in your bag and "clean" him back at your cabin.  I don't see a reason to freeze yourself to skin them on the spot.  Speaking of which, my six year old couldn't figure out what I meant when I said I'm "cleaning" the rabbit.  I say the same thing when "cleaning" a fish.  It was terminology I picked up from my Dad.  Do the rest of you say that as well?

2 hours ago, Larken said:

I haven't found where this has been mentioned, but I'm sure this has to annoy more than just me.  I find it very frustrating that the protagonist (me) insists on watching the pot until the water boils!  For me, this seems like the largest waste of time.  I understand that the passage of time when melting snow and boiling water changes from the normal passage of time, but it seems like you should be able to do something like cooking simultaneously since time passes at the same rate for that.

Here: http://hinterlandgames.com/the-long-dark/roadmap/

NEAR TERM (1-6 Month Window)

• Improved Cooking; more of the cooking action happens in-game (vs. in menus); cooking happens in game-time (i.e. not accelerated time), so you can multi-task

Archived