Shotguns and Birds

RighteousFury

We all know about shooting poultry out of the sky with ~200 pellets slung out of a 20 gauge shotgun, right? I think shotguns and according shells should be added, rather than crows dropping feathers like there's no tomorrow, create the ability to blow those suckers out of the sky. There could be birdshot with a lot of pellets and there could be buckshot for self defense. This might create a lot of lag if all of the pellets are spawned individually. 

Just throw your thoughts out here!

Maybe if there was some ptarmigan or something in the game I could get behind bird hunting, but I personally don't want to see any more guns being thrown into this game. If seasons become implemented and fall brings plenty of fowls to shoot, sure but otherwise I'd prefer shotguns stay out of the game. 

On 5/3/2016 at 2:37 PM, RighteousFury said:

We all know about shooting poultry out of the sky with ~200 pellets slung out of a 20 gauge shotgun, right? I think shotguns and according shells should be added, rather than crows dropping feathers like there's no tomorrow, create the ability to blow those suckers out of the sky. There could be birdshot with a lot of pellets and there could be buckshot for self defense. This might create a lot of lag if all of the pellets are spawned individually. 

Just throw your thoughts out here!

The utility of shotguns aside, you'd want the birds as another food source? (obviously you can scavenge their feathers already)

I think it's an excellent idea. Plus it is realistic. There are considerably more shotguns out there among rural areas than bolt-action, large caliber rifles. That was one of my thoughts during my very first sandbox - before I did any research on the game. Especially as I found the trapper's cabin and was walking along the coastal highway. It seemed odd that there was not one shotgun to be found as common as they are.

The shotgun wouldn't take the place of a bolt-action either. Two shells could be incorporated: buckshot and birdshot.

• Birdshot wouldn't be useful for anything except hunting fowl and rabbits. Birdshot might also be used to scare off wolves.
  • Buckshot would be able to kill wolves and deer, but at a limited range and would require good accuracy. You'd still have to effectively stalk them.
  • Bolt-action rifles are still very valuable given their range, accuracy, and ability to kill larger predators (bears).

There is always the weight and carry capacity as a balancing mechanic. Carrying both rifles with all three types of ammo would be quite a loadout and not leave much room for supplies. If you wanted to carry only one, you'd have to decide between the two.

I think bird hunting is viable in this game but here is the problem I see. It would require lots of ammo; hard to hit birds and low meat yield. That would mean that it would turn the game into a shooting gallery. On the other hand if there was little ammo it might not be worth all the work from the Devs considering that the activity could not be sustained for very long.

Archived