Some [disorganized] basic thoughts on Tireless Menace and the challenges

Stytch Fingal

I've successfully completed both challenge modes and really enjoyed them. I found that the resources available in both were more than plentiful (particularly a special [I think?] resource in The Hunted) once I calmly surveyed my surroundings and options.

On Challenge Mode

Each challenge requires some route planning (though Hopeless Rescue much more so than The Hunted). The challenges therefore assume the player character has some familiarity with the geography. This makes sense to me in terms of gameplay narrative, especially with the development timeline noting there will eventually be NPCs introduced to the sandbox.

The challenges could, from this perspective, be seen as events happening to a person (other than the Story Mode characters) familiar with the region who has somehow survived the geomagnetic event. Perhaps, for instance, in HR, one who saw the plane crashing on TWM and made an effort to check for survivors and then, upon finding the distress pistol, decides that firing it from the DP lighthouse might be the best chance of contacting any other survivors in the vicinity.

What I liked most about HR was the intensive route planning needed. In TH, it was the constant sense of dread, the need to be always listening for any sign of the old bear closing in, and needing to know pretty much from moment to moment what I would need to do to escape---so again, planning, but on the fly and adjusting to the terrain shelter opportunities.

On Tireless Menace Gameplay

I've only been playing since March (and as I mentioned elsewhere, it was a steep learning curve for me at first), so my experience was all with v.321, and my playing style is to be active so I've no issues with the cabin fever mechanic, which, from my reading here, seems to be bothering some people slightly. I actually think it's a great addition, not because it could force one to be active, but because it is something that could actually happen. And I think the random possibility of a confluence of factors, injury, sickness (intestinal parasites, maybe!), bad weather, etc., causing even active players to come down with cabin fever is great. 

I had a 63 day run going when the update arrived. After doing the challenges I got back to the character and died within a day. Not because of the update, though, but because I decided it would okay to take a nap by a deer carcass by the blind near Signal Hill. I woke up being mauled by a bear, bandaged myself, took the emergency stim, dithered for a moment about whether to run for the cave or the radio hut, and that indecision gave the bear fits apparently. He attacked again I and faded into the long dark.

I've started a new character (I play Voyageur). Only 12 days in, but am being fascinated by the pack behaviour of some wolves. In packs they seem to travel longer distances as wolves in the wild do, I understand, and appear more randomly. Though lone wolves still seem to have the old patrol behaviour. Perhaps I'm imagining this, and just haven't seen enough of them yet to have a handle on the new behaviors.

I do sometimes get frustrated with how much food I have to consume---well, actually with how that cuts into my character's limited resources. So, I think that mechanic is a win for the developers so far---though I have wondered about the ratio of rabbit meat to venison on the respective carcasses. Seems to me a deer should have soemthing like 15 to 20kg rather than the 7 to 9kg I see ingame. Especially since the rabbits yield 1kg on average. But then again, it is winter, so maybe I'm dead wrong. It wouldn't be the first time I was.

I love the idea of everything beginning to decay at the start of a game. That's how the world works.

I'll finish with what may seem a bit of a weird question, but it occurred to me the other day: has cannabilism ever been considered as an ingame mechanic/option? It would make for difficult choices at certain times. I mean, all those frozen corpses laying about in the snow and a person daily facing starvation seeing them....

Oh man, I just spent all the time after work that I wanted be playing TLD talking about it. That's how much I love this game.

Thanks for your thorough feedback and welcome to the forums!

1 hour ago, Stytch Fingal said:

I'll finish with what may seem a bit of a weird question, but it occurred to me the other day: has cannabilism ever been considered as an ingame mechanic/option?

Sure, cannibalism has been suggested numerous times already. (Yes, even including wendigos, both immaginary and real ones^^).

But as both the majority of players and the devs themselves are pretty much opposed to the idea of cannibalism being added to the game, it's not anything that's likely going to happen.

Cannibalism would probably also cause problems with the game's age ratings in various countries (which is supposed to be "teen" afaik).

9 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Thanks for your thorough feedback and welcome to the forums!

Sure, cannibalism has been suggested numerous times already. (Yes, even including wendigos, both immaginary and real ones^^).

But as both the majority of players and the devs themselves are pretty much opposed to the idea of cannibalism being added to the game, it's not anything that's likely going to happen.

Cannibalism would probably also cause problems with the game's age ratings in various countries (which is supposed to be "teen" afaik).

Ah, thanks, that makes sense. And it's kind of relief. It's not a choice that I'd really want to be faced with,

11 hours ago, Stytch Fingal said:

my playing style is to be active so I've no issues with the cabin fever mechanic, which, from my reading here, seems to be bothering some people slightly. I actually think it's a great addition, not because it could force one to be active, but because it is something that could actually happen. And I think the random possibility of a confluence of factors, injury, sickness (intestinal parasites, maybe!), bad weather, etc., causing even active players to come down with cabin fever is great. 

This is spot on. I think it's good, too.

Like you, I'm not particularly concerned about changing my habits in game just to avoid cabin fever - though I did check my indoor/outdoor stats to see if it might happen to me. Turns out my ratio is fairly close to 50-50, so some bad weather or illness might trigger it sometime. I've heard of the hibernation method of surviving, but I've never really known or been interested in finding out how it works; and I don't see cabin fever as a punishment for playing the game 'the wrong way' - it's just another danger of the scenario which you try to deal with if it occurs.

With further additions to the 'well-being' of the character planned according the roadmap, insomnia - due to fear, boredom, depression, cabin fever or whatever else - seems a very plausible hazard to add to the game.

3 minutes ago, Pillock said:

With further additions to the 'well-being' of the character planned according the roadmap, insomnia - due to fear, boredom, depression, cabin fever or whatever else - seems a very plausible hazard to add to the game.

Insomnia seems like a fine idea. Randomly waking in the night though exhausted, and not being able to get back to sleep long enough to be at full strength would be a wonderfully frustrating addition and, as you say, very plausible.

Archived