Scaring predators [possible exploit]

Pillock

I just scared off a wolf and the bear on the Old Bear challenge by doing practically nothing.

The bear was approaching me, and I was trying to run away while holding an unlit flare - suddenly he just turned an ran off for no apparent reason.

The wolf was stranger still. He was running towards me, and I was desperately trying to light a fire before he reached me. It was either too windy or inappropriate terrain - possibly both. I was just spamming the ground with the red-highlighted fire icon, and when the wolf got to within striking distance of me he just turned and ran away in fright. I never even started the fire-lighting process, I didn't have any flares or torches lit, nor did I have any other potential wolf deterrents such as wolfskin coat or bearskin roll. It was the second day of the challenge, I was on low condition, and I was convinced I was about to die. But he just ran away.

Generally the new wolf AI has been great for me, but if you can scare wolves off by just pressing '4' and spamming the ground, then it's a serious problem.

Archived