Bearstalker challenge: sorry, it's a dud!

TWM

So I've been playing the new challenge mode where one is stalked by a grumpy grizzly bear and has to get from Pleasant Valley to the Trapper's Cabin in Mystery Lake.

Honestly, it didn't work for me.

I had expected the bear to show up at regular intervals an f*ck up my game plan, but basically it's just right behind you or somewhere near you all the time. You can hear it grinding constantly. It's simply grating on my nerves and not in a good way.

It's also completely unrealistic. I ran into it. It came at me. I threw a burning twig on the ground, it ran in the other direction - just to get stuck against a rock. Okay, fine, that's helpful except it's in the direction I wanted to go. But no matter: I decide to leave it be and I run a good couple of scenes away from it, in the other direction. Yet as soon as I stop to take a breather, I get that same grating sound of a moving bear in my ears.

WTF?! Somehow, miraculously, it has caught up on me, as if I'm carrying a homing beacon on me and it not only carries a tracker but it also has the power to teleport! Real immersive stuff right there!

So out of sheer annoyance I decide to use the flare gun to scare it away. But lo and behold, it decides to run *in my direction*! This makes no sense, but it gets more bizarre yet. You see, I'm to believe this vindictive bear is out to get me and will stop at nothing to tear me limb from limb! It will follow me relentlessly for hundreds of miles. It's like the terminator, nothing can stop it except the magic gun... Well... it can see me right here and now! It gets right up, close & personal to me, but somehow I'm to believe it is so panicked it ignores me all together... Yeah, right... again, real immersive.

So, what I'm left with, instead of a menacing, ever looming threat slowly creeping in wherever I go, thwarting my every effort to stay alive or better my chances, is an annoying, loud, obnoxious troll miracuously appearing behind me wherever I go even though when it makes little or no sense.

I can't shake it off, because it'll just pop up back behind me. (I didn't try climbing the rope to Timber Wolf Mountain, but I'm pretty sure it would somehow pop right up there as well, even though that makes no sense either - even if the bear would find a detour, that would take a good amount of time).

There's no AI here, no cat & mouse game, just a lumbering troll following your ass.

Sorry, that's not all that interesting.

Can't really confirm your complaints. Of course the bear is following you, that's the whole point of the challenge.  

Spoiler

And it's definitely possible to escape him for a certain amount of time. I only saw my bear seven times or so during the whole challenge. Most of the time I was alone.

As long as the bear keeps walking, evading him is easy.  Try to get a headstart in these situations because after a certain amount of time the bear will inevitably start running towards you. That's when things get a little tough as the bear runs way faster than you. 

You can thus either escape into a building in these situations or use the flare gun.

At least I personally did it this way and my bear behaved pretty well. Persistent, but definitely not teleporting or otherwise immersion-breaking.

Archived