wishlist and suggestions

Patchouli

I've been playing for a while now and I have some thoughts about the game.

I would really like to see a more extensive crafting system in the game.  I've fooled around with "The Forest" game a bit and I like the crafting system they have set up.  We should be able to affect the landscape other than just leaving campfires everywhere.  Which I HATE btw.  Can we please deal with that?  There comes a point where just getting by is boring.  You can only stockpile so much meat, hides, and guts.  It would be nice if we could craft quality of life things--like a sleigh for dragging wood or carcasses, or a structure to store sticks and logs, etc...

I would like to see a craftable smoker or a drying rack.

I would like to see the ability to cook more than one piece of meat at a time.  It's just not realistic to have to cook every single piece of meat on its own.  And it's super tedious and annoying.

I would like to see the ability to cook recipes.  It would be nice if we could make broth or soup (cat tail and rabbit stew, anyone?).

I find the clothing crafting system to need a lot of work.  It really should not take 25 hours to make a rudimentary coat.  Also, I think a lot of the hides should be interchangeable.  Why couldn't you use rabbit skin to make pants?  You'd need a lot more of them, but they should still do the trick.

You should be able to harvest cured leather from any cured hide.

In an effort to make the game harder, you've made the game very monotonous.  I shouldn't have to (pretty much) kill a wolf a day to feed myself.  You've cut the calories from harvested meat by 1/2-2/3.  You've also greatly underestimated how much meat you would get from an 80 lb wolf.  I realize that you're trying to keep the game challenging, but I think that there are other ways to do this, besides making it so repetitive.  Don't get me wrong...I love this game.  It's the best survival game I've played so far.  Mostly, this is due to the fact that you've managed to really create a mood.  The animation is beautiful.  I also like that it's you against mother nature, instead of you against zombies or cannibals or whatever.  However, I think if you made it a progressive game, where each level of skill earned allowed you to craft better things, there would be something to look forward to.  The game needs more...

These are the thoughts I have so far.  I'm sure I'll have more later.

It's great that this game is still in ALPHA phase which allows them to implement all kinds of new features, those they come up with and (Hopefully) many that are suggested to them. You're not alone in your wishlist as I have seen much of these suggested elsewhere, and I agree. I think rabbit skin boots would be better than deer, and why can't I make a scarf or toque out of wolf fur? Realistically I have to assume these aren't skills an average person forced to survive would have, and yes I thought 25 hours on a coat is a long time but honestly I don't think I could do it myself in that time, given that your are using dried gut to hold it all together.

There was talk of allowing us to walk away from the fire while food cooked, but no mention of doing more than one piece at a time though. I figured the current mechanic was designed so that you don't under or over-cook anything, so you're forced to sit and pay attention. And food recipes would be nice, but honestly you're just trying to survive, not win a spot on MasterChef. It would help break up the boredom though, as I imagine eating stale crackers and rabbit for days on end would eventually lead to someone just wanting to lay down in a blizzard and not get back up.

The skill system addresses the less than realistic amount harvested from carcasses as the better you get at it the more you can cut away without ruining it. Same with things like repairing, fishing, fire starting, etc. The more you do it, the better you get at it.

Archived