Finally managed to hit something with the bow...

starfighter441

Managed to hit a deer at last, twice actually. Chased the bugger from the Camp Office to the far side of Mystery Lake after the first hit, then chased him back to the river, where I hit him again. Then back to the Camp Office and the railway tracks where he disappeared into the bush on the other side. Dark was falling, and it had gotten foggy, so I abandoned the chase, and just barely found my way back to the Camp Office.

There had been a good blood trail, but this had disappeared overnight, I can see this happening when there is a snowfall overnight. What I would like to see is the Ravens (Crows, whatever) circling over kills made by the player, this would be the case in real life.

It's not so much the loss of the meat, hide and gut that annoys me, more the loss of an arrow, I did find the first one I shot, which I assume means it was just a glancing hit, even though I did see a blood cloud.

Managed to hit a deer at last, twice actually. Chased the bugger from the Camp Office to the far side of Mystery Lake after the first hit, then chased him back to the river, where I hit him again. Then back to the Camp Office and the railway tracks where he disappeared into the bush on the other side. Dark was falling, and it had gotten foggy, so I abandoned the chase, and just barely found my way back to the Camp Office.

There had been a good blood trail, but this had disappeared overnight, I can see this happening when there is a snowfall overnight. What I would like to see is the Ravens (Crows, whatever) circling over kills made by the player, this would be the case in real life.

It's not so much the loss of the meat, hide and gut that annoys me, more the loss of an arrow, I did find the first one I shot, which I assume means it was just a glancing hit, even though I did see a blood cloud.

I think thats ok, If anything would be easy, then it wouldnt be a SURVIVAL-Game. And its realistic, that the deer flees and the blood trail over night disapears because of snow...

I personally only hunt between early morning and midday, simply because I need to find a deer, shoot it, allow for up to two hours to chase it as it bleeds out, start a fire (probably cold after a couple of hours tracking it, and need to keep warm during harvesting), harvest it, and then walk back (encumbered if it's a big haul). All this can easily take several hours!

If I haven't found anything suitable by early afternoon, or if the weather isn't good, then I call it quits and head home until the next day :)

I personally only hunt between early morning and midday, simply because I need to find a deer, shoot it, allow for up to two hours to chase it as it bleeds out, start a fire (probably cold after a couple of hours tracking it, and need to keep warm during harvesting), harvest it, and then walk back (encumbered if it's a big haul). All this can easily take several hours!

If I haven't found anything suitable by early afternoon, or if the weather isn't good, then I call it quits and head home until the next day :)

Learn't that lesson the hardway, shot a Black Bear by Misanthrope's Homestead late afternoon, got mauled and lost my pants but recovered somewhat, tracked it down and spent all night harvesting and cooking frozen meat in a blizzard in my underwear, thankfully no 3rd person view!

I've had issues with multiple - arrow kills. Hitting a wounded animal with a second arrow doesn't seem to accelerate the bleeding death. The engine also seems to dislike two arrows in one corpse and will only let me recover one unless I return to indoors and back. Anyone else seen this?

I've had issues with multiple - arrow kills. Hitting a wounded animal with a second arrow doesn't seem to accelerate the bleeding death. The engine also seems to dislike two arrows in one corpse and will only let me recover one unless I return to indoors and back. Anyone else seen this?

I'm pretty sure the only way a second arrow would increase the time before the animal dies would be if it hit it in an area more likely to cause death than before. For instance, if you hit it in the flank the first time then quickly hit it in in the head, it may well die more quickly. However, an animal that suffers two flank shots will die just as quickly as one that suffers one.

I never bother shooting more than one arrow into an animal because all animals will eventually die from one hit, no matter where. If you're lucky or skilled, you will kill an animal right away. Most times for me, I don't, and eventually find the corpse in the general vicinity it ran off to.

Well, I looked pretty much everywhere west of the tracks at Mystery Lake, no joy. Then when I was ferrying some gear back to the Coastal Highway, I came across a deer just above the crossing to the boxcar, which had not been there when I had crossed into Mystery Lake from the Coastal Highway, there was also an arrow on the ground beside it. So this makes me wonder, can a wounded animal cross into another map?

Archived