Animal tracks / fewer animals

Larkid

The game already has animal tracks in the snow but they only seem to last a few seconds while the animal itself is plainly in sight. It would be really neat if the tracks lasted as long (or nearly as long - at least while the player remains in the area) as the player tracks.

This might already be in the works if there are plans to have animals migrate further than their current little patrol areas.

Overall, I think the sandbox would be a lot more challenging/rewarding if there were fewer animals in the map but more signs of their presence. You might find wolf tracks and decide to head somewhere else, or could follow a deer overland for some time before finally seeing it.

Currently it sometimes feels like it's hard to move without tripping over wildlife (especially on Coastal Highway with it's 10,000 wolves). All the humans are dead - how have the animals managed so well?

I agree with this... although animals (and people) should sink into the snow further than is depicted in game, I'm ok without the complications involved in making realistic snow cover happen. (and that is another topic :D)

More tracks and less animals would be good. For rabbit snares, you would be able to look for a high concentration of rabbit tracks rather than finding a high concentration of rabbits themselves to pick a good location for your snares.

I agree with this... although animals (and people) should sink into the snow further than is depicted in game, I'm ok without the complications involved in making realistic snow cover happen. (and that is another topic :D)

More tracks and less animals would be good. For rabbit snares, you would be able to look for a high concentration of rabbit tracks rather than finding a high concentration of rabbits themselves to pick a good location for your snares.

Right!

And I`d like to see maps differ by number of animals from plenty to little. Where rabbits or/and deer are plenty the predators are well fed and not attacking unless provoked. If grass eaters are few because lack of food base - predators are hungry and desperate.

When plenty of grass eaters with no large predators - it is an easy map. When first are plenty - it is an easy map, but more challenging. The less grass eaters - more challenge.

Archived