Bopping Fluffy (or his brother) on the head

starfighter441

I just shot a wolf in the Coastal Highway, it took off towards one of the Islands, with me in pursuit. When I caught up with it, it was limping along and not actually getting anywhere. So I stood off to one side and watched and waited to see if it would drop, after 5 minutes ( actual time, not game time) he was still walking in place. As the weather was starting to change and I only had about 2 hours daylight left, I expended one of my precious .303 rounds to put him down. This rather annoyed me as I really try to husband my ammo, so I'd like to know why couldn't I just give Loopy deLoup a whack between the lookers with the hatchet.

Before anyone asks, I was in Pilgrim mode. I expect that in one of the other modes he would have at least made an effort at attacking me.

actually, even in Voyager mode (i personally dont know about Stalker), a critically wounded wolf doing the death limp will seldom attack you, especially if you stay out of direct line of sight and a reasonable distance away (3 meters or more). also, a critically wounded wolf doing the death limp in Pilgrim WILL attack if you get too close within line of sight.

that said, i always carry a bow and few arrows just for this reason. if you catch up to ANY wounded animal before it drops dead, it is better to finish it with a reuseable/replaceable arrow than to waste a precious rifle round. or you can force an attack by getting right in its face, even in pilgrim mode.

• 2 weeks later...
actually, even in Voyager mode (i personally dont know about Stalker), a critically wounded wolf doing the death limp will seldom attack you, especially if you stay out of direct line of sight and a reasonable distance away (3 meters or more). also, a critically wounded wolf doing the death limp in Pilgrim WILL attack if you get too close within line of sight.

that said, i always carry a bow and few arrows just for this reason. if you catch up to ANY wounded animal before it drops dead, it is better to finish it with a reuseable/replaceable arrow than to waste a precious rifle round. or you can force an attack by getting right in its face, even in pilgrim mode.

Of course I had to try this... and Loopey will come aboard you if you get in his face, so now I can spend sometime repairing my pants, boot, and coat etc. On the bright side, I now have enough in the way of wolfskins for a fur coat.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think a wolf would just watch you finish it, even (maybe especially if) badly wounded: it would fight back somehow; the 'engagement scene' with a wounded wolf represents the try for the killing blow, as I see. You will notice that the brawl is really short and the wolf ends dead if you catch it in a bad shape (walking slowly) with a hunting knife at hand.

Archived