Reclaiming unburned wood from prematurely finished campfires

PPartisan

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I couldn't find any posts on this.

I find it strange that I can't reclaim wood from a camp fire that's been extinguished by an increase in wind. There was one situation recently where I didn't know that in medium wind I couldn't raise the fire's burn time by more than seven minutes, so I added a couple of logs that would have otherwise burned for hours.

It's fair enough that the fire blew it out anyway, but it would be better to be able to extract the logs (with a percentage penalty, representing the amount that burned) rather than just wasting them all.

Wind and fires are a bit weird at the moment. I had plenty of moments when i find some place that is protected from strong wind(not predetermined area, like cave, but more like isolated spot, like merging of 2 cliffs), set up fire, try to do something and then poof, its gone.

Apparently during those quick events, in terms of determining wind protection, only predetermined places seem to count.

No, that's not true. As soon as the little "wind shield" logo pops up, you are good to start a fire. BUT the wind direction can just turn at any moment and then what used to be sheltered might be no longer.

Dunno, i may be wrong, but it seem to happen every time.

Archived