"Respawning" gear

an_actual_puppy

After settling in the trappers cabin for my base I collected all the loot in there and put it into a locker. But every few days it looks like things "respawn"- in this case it's rifle ammo, coffee/tea and rifle cleaning kits. They are never in containers and always on shelves. After I collected them thinking I'd just forgotten to pick it up they reappeared a few in game days later. I'm now at 35 rounds, about 30 cups of tea and coffee combined, and 7 cleaning kits. It's great for helping my characters longevity but it still feels a bit like cheating!

Thanks for the report - We're tracking the issue on our side, if you like you can send your saves to support@hinterlandgames.com - This will help us track down the issue as we will be able to debug your instance of the issue.

Just zip up the hinterland folder found here:

Windows: c:\users\username\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark

OSX: /users/username/.local/share/Hinterland/TheLongDark

Registered an account here just to say something about this game breaking bug. As a survival game, it's really is a good game, but this bug broke the game since it basically screw up the finite economy!

Currently, if you reload a save, the item that lying about around the room WILL spawn again! This is a huge problem when it is a base like Trapper Homes as rifles, ammo, latern etc etc respawn again and again. Even if you do not pick them up (very hard to do - temptation), they respawn elsewhere around the room until all the respawn point is taken.

Once in a while, item respawn on top of each other. I tested this for a while and I got two rifles hanging on top of each other.

1) Enter a room.

2) Quit the game.

3) Reload the save.

4) Exit the room.

5) Go to Step 1 and repeat.

Items will spawn endlessly.

I suspect the same bug plaguing the Quonset Gas Station in Coastal Highway. I returned there after a few days in another map and found a lot of items I couldn't have missed the first time around (prybars, whetstones, a hacksaw, a rifle round, a flare).

Edit: lanterns and bedrolls, too. I had not picked them since I first arrived and when I picked them now, there were several in one place.

And of course, same thing as reported by others in the Camp Office and Trapper's Cabin in ML.

It sounds like a bug in the code that adds more loot on a save game for the new update. The new items, rifle cleaning kit, whetstone and rifle cartridges are new additions. Does this occur if you start a fresh game? You could also try verifying local data.

This is happening in my ML save game that I started this past week. Everytime I load my game a lantern, magnifying glass, bedroll, and food item (sometimes tomato soup, sometimes coffee) respawn around the Camp Office.

Please fix as soon as possible as it does detract from the "survival" feel of the game.

SteveP - yes, it is happening again when I start a new sandbox, too. I only joined TLD after v.301, but I found some information about this in the German forum. It appears that this behavior is an overlay of an already known and recurring bug from earlier game versions, wherein two different instances of the interior are spawned (including items) when the house is entered through different door, and a new bug, which causes items to respawn on game reload sometimes.

I have observed that the frequency of respawns is higher initially but drops off as time progresses.

Until it is fixed, I am putting all 'illegaly found' items to a separate stash so that my new Voyageur run does not become too easy :)

Archived