ability to look around while walking

DMoriarty

I would really like the movement controls to be augmented so we can look around while walking forward. In gta 4 for example, if I remember correctly, you use the keyboard to walk and the mouse to look around and aim. I really want to be able to look around for wolves while I'm walking!

It maybe goes farther than what OP is even suggesting, but including trackIR (or VR) would do exactly what is being described. You swivel your real-life head, which makes your in game character rotate their head around regardless of where your main body is headed (it looks sorta like in Mechwarrior where your torso moves independently of the leg module). Never used it myself but I love the idea, would be an immerse addition for TLD.

Ah yes, that went right over my head :?

It would be nice to be able to swivel your head from side to side while walking in any direction.

Maybe press and hold the middle mouse button while moving the mouse left and right. Release the button and your head goes back to centre. Would be a nice feature.

Ah yes, that went right over my head :?

It would be nice to be able to swivel your head from side to side while walking in any direction.

Maybe press and hold the middle mouse button while moving the mouse left and right. Release the button and your head goes back to centre. Would be a nice feature.

I think they're working on VR support of sorts, so it would be hard to imagine them not including this, but I haven't seen any official word. As a user of such devices (TrackIR) it would be a handy thing to have and would add to immersion for planned headset support.

Also, there's really no better way to check behind you to see if that wolf/bear is still chasing you down. Having to turn around to check has gotten me all but killed before.

I completely understand this concern and wouldn't mind a command such as holding alt to look around while walking in one direction as many other FP games have.

However there are pros and cons of both ways (the way suggested and the current way)

I actually prefer the current way because it still is possible to simulate head turning while walking and it takes only one extra keystroke, the same as it would be for holding alt to turn the head while walking in one direction.

It's a little tricky to get used to but you can simply walk sideways or walk backwards while turning with your mouse. This simulates turning your head while walking in one direction and actually has two major advantages over other games that have the "hold alt to turn head" mechanic.

1. In the long dark, you can run while strafing and walking backwards, which many other games with alt/look do not allow. Although you can still run in other games while holding alt to turn your head, the fact that you can run backwards in the long dark is connected to reason two.

2. If you are running or walking backwards to effectively "look" behind you while running in one constant direction, your body is also already poised to raise your weapon to shoot in the direction you are looking. Some games with the alt/look method require you to turn your body again (after you have already turned your head) if you decide that you want to shoot something that you are looking at. There is no need for that in TLD.

The biggest issue some users may have to get over is the juggling of WASD to constantly keep moving in one direction while looking in another, but it doesn't take long before it is second nature and you will find yourself wishing that other games that have alt/look allow you to move, look and run like TLD allows.

Perhaps an option menu toggle for each way would be a potential fix, but it may be better to stick with one method to prevent imbalance as each have different pros and cons and one might always give an advantage.

I completely understand this concern and wouldn't mind a command such as holding alt to look around while walking in one direction as many other FP games have.

However there are pros and cons of both ways (the way suggested and the current way)

I actually prefer the current way because it still is possible to simulate head turning while walking and it takes only one extra keystroke, the same as it would be for holding alt to turn the head while walking in one direction.

It's a little tricky to get used to but you can simply walk sideways or walk backwards while turning with your mouse. This simulates turning your head while walking in one direction and actually has two major advantages over other games that have the "hold alt to turn head" mechanic.

1. In the long dark, you can run while strafing and walking backwards, which many other games with alt/look do not allow. Although you can still run in other games while holding alt to turn your head, the fact that you can run backwards in the long dark is connected to reason two.

2. If you are running or walking backwards to effectively "look" behind you while running in one constant direction, your body is also already poised to raise your weapon to shoot in the direction you are looking. Some games with the alt/look method require you to turn your body again (after you have already turned your head) if you decide that you want to shoot something that you are looking at. There is no need for that in TLD.

The biggest issue some users may have to get over is the juggling of WASD to constantly keep moving in one direction while looking in another, but it doesn't take long before it is second nature and you will find yourself wishing that other games that have alt/look allow you to move, look and run like TLD allows.

Perhaps an option menu toggle for each way would be a potential fix, but it may be better to stick with one method to prevent imbalance as each have different pros and cons and one might always give an advantage.

This.

Archived