Propane/Petrol as a Fuel

As I've played The Long Dark, I'm sure many of us have seen the cars, trucks, and tractors strewn about. Also, the buildings with propane tanks outside.

What if you could harvest that? For example, a propane tank: if you have a knife, you could puncture the tank and fill any jerry cans you have. This would be a one-time thing though, as the rest would drain out.

What do you think?

Ehh. Fair point. :(

However, could you siphon gas? I think that one could build a fire to thaw the gasoline inside a vehicle (though it may not be frozen, I'm sure it wouldn't respond very well to any attempts to siphon it unheated). Following that, you could use some sort of material or craftable object to siphon the gas, with the risk of food poisoning from accidentally swallowing it.

Although it may be difficult to implement, the reason I bring it up is that, in this situation, I would try to do the same.

Ehh. Fair point. :(

However, could you siphon gas? I think that one could build a fire to thaw the gasoline inside a vehicle (though it may not be frozen, I'm sure it wouldn't respond very well to any attempts to siphon it unheated). Following that, you could use some sort of material or craftable object to siphon the gas, with the risk of food poisoning from accidentally swallowing it.

Although it may be difficult to implement, the reason I bring it up is that, in this situation, I would try to do the same.

I'm afraid I have to correct you again swallowing gas or benzine as we call it in Europe is actually healthy. I have a friend whenever he caught some nasty bug, his father advised him to drink little gasoline to clear his throat it kills viruses, people having asthma may benefit from this also I think and yes I had my fare share of drinking gas too, in my colleague days I had to fill the fuel tank for my heating system manually by jerry can and hose 80 liters of fuel tank I got gas drunk every month and here I am still alive and well although I feel like sprinting a lot sometimes my blood boils when I sit in the same space more than 5 min ;)

P.S. By the way yea that is great idea we should have the option of siphoning gas from cars, why not I am sure if those cars are left there on the street like that due to the storm most of them will have full or half full gas tank at least since it is difficult to siphon gas from almost empty tank.

I'm afraid I have to correct you again swallowing gas or benzine as we call it in Europe is actually healthy. I have a friend whenever he caught some nasty bug, his father advised him to drink little gasoline to clear his throat it kills viruses, people having asthma may benefit from this also...

I did not know that. Interesting tidbit, thank you vancopower.

As for the fire, I was thinking (and I may be completely incorrect, so please tell me) that the low temperatures would at least make the fuel a little sluggish, if you will. Like oil is when exposed to cold temperatures for extended periods of time.

As for the fire, I was thinking (and I may be completely incorrect, so please tell me) that the low temperatures would at least make the fuel a little sluggish, if you will. Like oil is when exposed to cold temperatures for extended periods of time.

No it does not, Diesel maybe but not gasoline confirmed by Siberian truckers :) that's why gasoline directly impacts world's economy. "The navigators are blind without it " - Dune :)

Archived