Lighting Problems

bradley_cox

Whenever I enter a building, it will lag more than if I am out in the world, because of the light that comes in from the windows, it will turn my screen black unless I look a certain way (usually away from the windows) and walking around in buildings leads to about 5-10 FPS, anyone know if there is a fix or if this is a known issue? (also, if this is the wrong place to post this, please inform)

Guest Alan Lawrance

There have been some reports of low framerate indoors, but the black screen issue is new to me. Let us know what video card you are using. Also let us know what quality level you are using (Ultra/High/Med/Low).

There have been some reports of low framerate indoors, but the black screen issue is new to me. Let us know what video card you are using. Also let us know what quality level you are using (Ultra/High/Med/Low).

It's not a completly black screen, but what seems to be an octogon at the window, but if i get close, or look a certain way, it will dissappear, but outside the framerate is fine on low-medium quality, unless i look a certain direction on the map like in he forestry lookout, if i look a certain way i will drop some frames. If you need anymore information, feel free to ask!

I don't get the black screen issue but certainly have experienced much lower FPS indoors with the 'volumetric' lighting seeming to be the cause (it doesn't happen in the Trapper's Homestead for example).

Drops down to sub 20 FPS sometimes and varying quality settings down to Low (I play on High) really doesn't make that much of a difference.

Have been hoping this will be optimised though :)

Guest Alan Lawrance

In the next update, the light shafts gets turned off for the Low and Medium graphics quality. We do plan to find a more efficient method for this effect though, so we don't have to link it graphics quality.

• 1 year later...

this seems to still be an issue, I just bought the game and installed, when I walk into buildings my frames are fine but if I look in specific directions the screen goes completely blank. Basically unplayable as it is, coming up on a year and a half since this was first reported...

on a side not, this happens no matter what quality I am on....and its only games that use unity that I play (this and rust) so its obviously a unity problem.

I don't have that issue fortunately, but what happens to me is that the shadow map will sometimes start to flicker based on what direction I am facing - a large plain might look uniform grey, then I look up and the snow will start to shine and the shadows appear.

Whenever I enter a building, it will lag more than if I am out in the world, because of the light that comes in from the windows, it will turn my screen black unless I look a certain way (usually away from the windows) and walking around in buildings leads to about 5-10 FPS, anyone know if there is a fix or if this is a known issue? (also, if this is the wrong place to post this, please inform)

Black screen also seems to occur on Xbone, my friend noticed it when i didn't and i was playing, the edges of the screen go dark for an instant when you turn your camera at certain positions when indoor and under a light effect.

Barely noticable until you notice it, then it cannot be unnoticed.

Edit: Seems like we're talking about two seperate and different issues, which only makes it worse :P

Archived