Crouch Against Rock Stops Animal Attacks

selfless

It is possible to crouch under objects to reach places that cannot be accessed while standing. This is also true for rock outcroppings that are more than vertical, a space exists immediately adjacent where one cannot stand but can crouch.

When animals charge for attacks, they do not crouch and therefore cannot stand in some places where the player is crouching. This stops them from attacking (cannot reach player) and they walk away. Possible solutions: animals always crouch (terrain chopping during combat animation likely), or animals within 1 meter of player drag player to them and start combat there.

It is odd to be immune to animal attacks because crouching next to a rock. And its been this way for quite a few versions...

Oh... took me a while to digest this.

So poor animal pathing is a feature? And taking advantage of it is not an exploit?

For anyone who hasn't realized it yet: stand next to a rock out cropping, crouch down, move toward rock. You are now immune to wolf and bear attacks. Awkward?

Yep, when I bedded down in a nook within of a pile of boulders on PV to try and ride out a blizzard, I was crouching. So, when I was suddenly woken up to see a bear not 1 foot in front of me, I was surprised I wasn't pinned on the ground and he wasn't rolling me around like soccer ball. All he did was pause, snort, and then just turned away and wandered off like nothing had happened.

I guess he just didn't like the way I smelled! :lol:

It is possible to crouch under objects to reach places that cannot be accessed while standing. This is also true for rock outcroppings that are more than vertical, a space exists immediately adjacent where one cannot stand but can crouch.

When animals charge for attacks, they do not crouch and therefore cannot stand in some places where the player is crouching. This stops them from attacking (cannot reach player) and they walk away. Possible solutions: animals always crouch (terrain chopping during combat animation likely), or animals within 1 meter of player drag player to them and start combat there.

It is odd to be immune to animal attacks because crouching next to a rock. And its been this way for quite a few versions...

Good observation.

Archived