Who killed wolf? Devs and veteran players feedback needed :)

thinair

Hey,

it was pretty strange, i went to crumbling highway zone, literally after entering it and walking a bit forward (1 minute of gameplay) saw a dead wolf. It just recently died because was only 6% frozen, and there was blood next to him.

The thing is i HAVE NOT been in crumbling highway for AT LEAST 30 days before this trip, and have not fought nor shot any wolves for like 10 past days in DP (that's were i been staying for 90% of the time of my current run of 230 days). Also Crumbling highway does not have any bear, so is it possible that this wolf fought a bear in DP and ran to crumbling highway and died? What might of happened?

this screen is taken right next to the road rail, behind its a truck and then a lil further behind me and truck, there is entrance to the mine which leads to DP.

screen_676_72_387_10e05ccd_1fd1_41c5_b2fc_91.png

Animals are preserved in a hyper state of being when you leave the map they are on. If you remain off that map for a set period of time, their state gets saved so the map can be regenerated from code if you ever return. Wounded animals are the most delicate state.

It is likely your described wolf was saved as "wounded but soon to be dead". It then was spawned as a dead wolf upon your return to the map to simulate it's death while you were gone. Perhaps more model checks should be implemented to prevent awkward time dilations like yours, correcting for known lifespan of undisturbed corpses and eventual replacement of dead wildlife. Returning 30 days later would then spawn a fresh set of animals.

Archived