Simple "bag" mode (one-step drop and pickup)

Eachna

I'm not sure if this was already suggested, it seems like it probably was but I can't find it in forum searches.

We could use a large bag item that represents our pack, and another bag item that represents a fanny pack/bum bag/cargo pocket storage/whatever.

When I was a girl scout we were taught when in a survival situation to carry vital life-saving small items in a separate area from our larger pack. So you carried things like matches and a pocket knife in your pockets or a small bag, and put less 'vital' things like your tent, your mess kit, and your bedroll in/on your backpack frame. The backpack was left behind in camp when you walked around the location. The idea being that if you fell out of the raft/slid down the side of the mountain/were chased by a bear/whatever...you didn't want to be weighed down by a large pack.

In game, if you have a nice home base, you might want to leave a lot of your stuff behind when you go out to collect food or collecting firewood, but still have it grouped up in some way for longer exploration trips.

You can do this now by dropping what you don't need in a pile before you leave, and picking it up when you get back, but it's a PITA as you have to manipulate items one at a time. I want to drop my pack on the floor as a single item, and pick it back up as a single item. And I want my small bag to hold whatever I don't drop. Now, arguably, you don't need separate bags. So maybe it's just one bag for the pack. Or maybe you just tag things in your inventory list and when you use a specific drop command, the code stores them in a single (destructible) container item that disappears when you pick it back up (like a net bag).

I don't really care how the code works, I just want it to be logical enough to fit within the framework of the game, and simple enough that the devs could implement it (if the idea appealed to them).

+1 With the "tagging" idea I'd say this should be doable and would make a LOT of sense in the game.

But right now I'm kinda thinking about how to balance this.

Say you have a full 30Kg load on you. If you drop your pack without "tagging" anything into your pockets/fanny pack then you're basically left only with your clothes on. Now from there, can you pick up anything or not?

I'd say this could work if the "tagable" item list is basically a container that can hold say 5Kg and if you don't have a backpack on you won't be able to pick up anything above that, but everything you do pick up automatically get tagged.

Clothes that you're wearing naturally aren't stored in the list, but then what if you take them off or just want to change into something better and they don't fit into the list?

There are a bunch of other stuff that would need some extra thinking, but the idea has been brought up a lot so I guess others would also have their own ideas by now.

+1 With the "tagging" idea I'd say this should be doable and would make a LOT of sense in the game.

But right now I'm kinda thinking about how to balance this.

Say you have a full 30Kg load on you. If you drop your pack without "tagging" anything into your pockets/fanny pack then you're basically left only with your clothes on. Now from there, can you pick up anything or not?

If you have 30k load and you drop everything but your clothes (not sure what that averages out to...say it's 5Kg)...then you should be able to pick up 25 Kg. That's why I said maybe the stuff you drop is rendered in a string bag as an alternative to the pack.

I also like the suggestion of a green backpack. Maybe they could throw one near the door of each house, and you could have a one-button command to load/unload stuff into it that didn't work on other containers (like cabinets and stuff).

It's basically just a "I want to be lazy" QoL suggestion. Manually loading/unloading the pack is kind of a pain and I pretty much never bother doing it because there's usually at least one item I have trouble seeing on the floor and having to hunt around with the lamp to find. It would be nice to be able to one-button drop/pick up stuff as needed.

If you have 30k load and you drop everything but your clothes (not sure what that averages out to...say it's 5Kg)...then you should be able to pick up 25 Kg. That's why I said maybe the stuff you drop is rendered in a string bag as an alternative to the pack.

Yeah this is actually the whole problem. First of all if you can keep dropping, refilling and dropping your gear all the time you're basically creating an infinite number of containers that have a WAY bigger capacity(even if we limit them to 25Kg) than most containers in the game witch is DEFINITELY a balance issue.

But if you only have ONE bag that you can drop then that bag will basically have to have unlimited capacity since you can pick up as much stuff as you want and if you say that we can keep on picking up stuff after dropping everything else you just create an infinite container that you just drop in your home base and go on picking up other gear as if nothing has changed.

So yeah if you drop your infinite capacity bag you MUST be limited in carrying capacity or it would break the game. :?

I also like the suggestion of a green backpack. Maybe they could throw one near the door of each house, and you could have a one-button command to load/unload stuff into it that didn't work on other containers (like cabinets and stuff).

Not a bad idea, but once again this would break the game's balance. I'd say the bags could be portable containers that you can pick up that have their own base weight.

Then if you find a good place you can drop the bags and have an option to either pick up or load them. Also a loaded bag would get it's own weight increased by its contents.

Yeah this is actually the whole problem. First of all if you can keep dropping, refilling and dropping your gear all the time you're basically creating an infinite number of containers that have a WAY bigger capacity(even if we limit them to 25Kg) than most containers in the game witch is DEFINITELY a balance issue.

I never said you should be able to rummage around inside the container you drop, nor did I say you should be able to drop multiple bags.

It doesn't matter how it renders to me and I explicitly stated that in my initial post. I just want it to look like it fits in the game.

I want to be able to mark stuff in my inventory (either moving to a separate bag, or tagging in the inventory list, or whatever). I want to be able to drop it IN A SINGLE UNIT. Then, I want to be able to pick it up IN A SINGLE UNIT.

While it's dropped, I want access to whatever space would be free in my pack, for carrying other stuff. When I want to interact with any of the original stuff, I expect to go back and pick up the whole stack, not just remove one or two items and leave a new bag behind. Nor do I expect to be able to drop multiple stacks.

** One button drop. One button pick up. A rendered stack in-game that doesn't look silly. ** That's the entirely of my request.

Again, just sticking green backpacks by the assorted doors with a special command added to them to allow me to drop off/pick up my stuff would work equally well (and already fits with the theme of the game).

I don't want to litter my houses with bags full of crap and you're really over-thinking this if that's what you're getting out of it.

PS - we already have "infinite" storage capacity in game. It's called the floor.

I want to be able to mark stuff in my inventory (either moving to a separate bag, or tagging in the inventory list, or whatever). I want to be able to drop it IN A SINGLE UNIT. Then, I want to be able to pick it up IN A SINGLE UNIT.

Okay-okay NOW I see where the problem was. I misunderstood and reversed the tagging system. I thought that you wanted to tag stuff TO KEEP on yourself instead of ones FOR DROPPING.

Now I get the idea so cool. +1 from me.

BUT I'd still add the weight limitation of say 20-25Kgs and either only allow a single pack as you said or make it a craftable item from rare stuff.

Again, just sticking green backpacks by the assorted doors with a special command added to them to allow me to drop off/pick up my stuff would work equally well (and already fits with the theme of the game).

I'm kinda neutral on this. I'd still say that making backpacks act like containers that can be picked up and dropped could fit better. Maybe make it random witch one isn't "damaged" to give it some challenge since portable containers are pretty useful. :P

PS - we already have "infinite" storage capacity in game. It's called the floor.

Infinite storage called the floor just LoL

Heh. Nice try, but NOPE! :mrgreen:

How would you find things? How would you sort them? How would you know how much you actually have? How would you move dozens of items at the same time? How could you tell their condition or weight by a glance?

Fun logic, but still. Containers are a HUGE asset for sorting gear... Heck my main strategy at night is to have stuff in an easy to find container and get extra food and water from there since the storage menu is not effected by light. :D

Personally I store the stuff that I have lots of on the floor its not hard to find stuff if you have more then one pile for your stuff I have my venison in a pile in one corner of my base once and a wile I poke though it take what's bad and throw it out in a pile behind my base i have my fire wood in sorted piles any items that I have a lot of and weighs to much to store in a container I make a pile for it it I have my water in rows on the work bench in my base and just grab a bottle when my supplie on me is low containers have no effect on how much stuff you can keep as long as you have space for a pile you can store all you want works surprisingly well also I my other comment was showing how much I liked the joke this is dragging on into a long post so I'll end it here p.s I love my piles of stuff

Archived