Fix the deathtrap in the Ravine, please

Hotzn

This is a wish I am making more for other people than for myself:

When entering the Ravine from ML and advancing towards the first cliff where the red train cars have fallen down and the fallen tree is providing for a passage across, there is a train car on the left side at the edge of the cliff with some loot inside (metal box & med kit iirc). Behind that train car, there is a little snowy ledge right by the cliffside that looks as if one could step upon, look down and get back again. However, there is no going back. This little ledge is a deathtrap to all those not-so-astute players who don't know (or remember in that moment) that they can reload their latest autosave (unless they sprained their ankle on the ledge). I can somehow understand that some of them get worked up over it, as the edge of the ledge is so low it is hard to understand why our brave Will McKenzie - who has overcome so many obstacles - should be unable to just step over it. I wouldn't necessarily call it a bug, but it's certainly not a feature.

Now I have seen people complain about this deathtrap here and there. Currently there are two recent negative reviews on Steam who rate TLD down just because of this annoying little ledge. And we all know how barely the game upkeeps its "overwhelmingly positive" rating on Steam - which it certainly deserves and which, if I am not mistaken, is a strong argument for many potential players to buy the game (I at least am always interested in Steam games with a "perfect" rating).

It has been a very long time that I got stuck in that place in the Ravine, and since I know where it happened, it won't happen again to me. But it nags me to see that some players suffer at the "ledge" and that TLD is getting downrated for it. So I would love to see this fixed in one of the next updates.

Just my latest Friday night wish. 8-)

The game is riddled with deathtraps like this. Heck I died in DP because I DARED to try and cross between a tree and a ledge that were WAY apart, but I still couldn't get past them and the way I came was "too steep" for me to go back so I kinda stuck there and got attacked by a bear and that "saved" my game. :mrgreen:

So yeah it would be WAY too much work to fix all of these traps. What this game needs is a "step over/climb small ledge" function. Jumping and other parkour stuff don't fit the game, but not being able to take a step that could basically fit in a stairway is kinda annoying. :P

There may be fewer of these than we think, and this one in the ravine is especially well known and very tempting. If there is a time to fix these kinds of "terrain traps" it is now, while there are only these maps to deal with (and the development team is forewarned to avoid them in the future).

I wonder, however, if this one is actually meant to be there. It isn't unrealistic that if someone wasn't careful about where they ventured on a cliff side, they might find themselves stuck with no way back.

Archived