The Road: A Landscape of Memory

Patrick Carlson

Cormac McCarthy's 2006 post-apocalyptic novel The Road has become a frequently-cited touchstone for many players of The Long Dark.

In this article, I look at two themes that surface in both fictional worlds--crafting and scavenging. Just like in The Long Dark, the protagonists in McCarthy's novel have a choice to make about what kind of survivors they want to be. This tension ends up defining their humanity as well.

In a world that's been radically changed, how do you want to survive?

• 5 weeks later...

I thought back to the book a couple of times while playing, and was excited about your article. Thanks for this.

I would eat - overwhelmed by starvation - human corpses :o , but i wouldnt kill for it (except the person in question would accept it in times of great hunger :? ). And I wouldnt attack someone just for getting a usefull tool. I would still try to savour the small things - just for not getting crazyyy :P .

Welcome to the forums!

McCarthy's novel definitely pushes right to the edge, so to speak, in the discussion of what we're all capable of in a disaster. It's an interesting technique he uses to create horror and strangeness...by presenting us with mostly empty spaces and the things left behind. It's up to the boy and his father to make sense of it all and see with new eyes and new "minds," in a way.

I noticed your profile indicates a German residence. If you like The Road, you might check out the short-story "Schwarze Spiegel" by Arno Schmidt. It deals with some similar themes. :)

Archived