Bear traps !

WinterWhite

The legality of traps and trapping in Canada are really, in the context of the game, a moot point for two reasons.

1) Canada, as a country, doesn't exist any more, as far as we know. Its laws are non-existent.

2) We are in a "survival situation". Almost anything that is normally prohibited (fires, "poaching" [aka hunting without a licence], trapping, "breaking and entering", etc) is pretty much A-OK to do if you need to in order to survive.

It also must be noted that the current rabbit snare is really both the least effective and most "horrific" trap you could ever devise. Instead of quickly (and therefore, humanely) lifting and strangling the rabbit, instead the rabbit gets snared around the body and immobilized until it dies from exposure, or held in place until a predator comes along and kills it. The rabbit would only be suffocated if it managed to loop the snare around the throat, which is not a given.

In real life, I would take the additional minutes of extra effort to make a "twitch-up snare". Much more humane, and it lifts the kill out of the reach of most predators. Well worth the effort.

And, you could totally make a trap of nothing but wood and "cordage" that could feasibly kill a wolf or a bear. Called a "spring-spear", it drives sharpened stakes either sideways, into the torso, or vertically, into the spine and neck. Very effective (and deadly. NEVER get in this things way. I triggered a "spikeless" one once by accident, and I thought it broke my leg. Had massive bruising, soreness, and trouble walking for weeks)

http://cleversurvivalist.com/wp-content ... 344751.jpg

For wolves and bear (and probably deer as well, the above would totally kill a deer), the trap would have to be "baited" with fresh meat, (or Peanut Butter/something deer would eat. Hell, deer will sniff the urine of other deer, so that could feasibly work). So, you would have to use a resource in order to make the trap effective. The trap itself could be made from a cured sapling, some cured gut, and some reclaimed wood (for the spikes)

The legality of traps and trapping in Canada are really, in the context of the game, a moot point for two reasons.

1) Canada, as a country, doesn't exist any more, as far as we know. Its laws are non-existent.

2) We are in a "survival situation". Almost anything that is normally prohibited (fires, "poaching" [aka hunting without a licence], trapping, "breaking and entering", etc) is pretty much A-OK to do if you need to in order to survive.

Actually, it isn't a moot point. Yes, you can trap anything and everything in any way you can in the described situation. No, you cannot easily find illegal bear traps even after there's no reason to worry about the law, because they have been illegal before and therefore, do not exist (in large quantities, at least) within the country's borders.

Archived