Hello from DanicusRex!

danicusrex

Hello! New to the forums (and reasonably new to the game), but this has seriously become my favorite game in RAPID time.

I grew up doing a lot of "roughing it" type camping in my youth, and I've always been interested in living off the land. I spent a lot of summertime in my teen years camping in the forests behind my house (in New England) crafting shelters, starting fires with flint & steel, basically living out my own version of Gary Paulsen's "Hatchet".

...so this game pretty much seems tailor made to my interests. It's soothing, in a way.

Hey! Always great to hear about a lover of the outdoors enjoying the game. Hatchet is a book that comes up often in our community as well, but I've yet to read it myself. I think I might have to finally sit down and give it a look.

Welcome to the forums!

It's a young adult book, but it's really good for what it is.

Teaches a lot of basic woodland survival stuff through the narrative of a boy caught in the Canadian wilderness after a plane crash. And basically all he has with him in the early days is his hatchet.

The sequels are also pretty good, if I recall correctly (especially "Brian's Winter", where he has to survive a Canadian winter. Sounds familiar, no?).

Hey! Always great to hear about a lover of the outdoors enjoying the game. Hatchet is a book that comes up often in our community as well, but I've yet to read it myself. I think I might have to finally sit down and give it a look.

Welcome to the forums!

Wait, they don't make you read it in grade school? I think every American has to read it! It's a book set in Canada, so you have no excuses :)

Wait, they don't make you read it in grade school? I think every American has to read it! It's a book set in Canada, so you have no excuses :)

I wasn't made to read it for class or anything , but I had a teacher who encouraged me to read it on my own time. And thus began a decades-long love of the wilderness. :D

Thank you, Mrs. Tripp, wherever you are.

I'm an American, but I went to private school for grades 3-8, so I think our curriculum was a bit different. I'll definitely check it out now though!

Archived