blood trail tracking levels

a gomerpile

One thing I seemingly can't do is successfully fallow a blood trail from an animal I have wounded. I will either get off track after going through some weeds and loose it because I can't back track to find the trail again as it seems to disappear as soon as I walk over it. Or I will have to stop and build a fire to warm up and will loose the trail for it being too old. So maybe the more blood trails I successfully fallow I can level up making it a little easier to fallow(maybe allow the trail to last longer or maybe the blood to be a little brighter contrast against the snow)

Edit: I am on the Xbox one

my experience as a new gamer/shooter.. I shot a deer. it ran off(dam you beast). I ran to the direction that I shot the deer but it ran off again -hrm not a clean shot/kill.

Though I did see/ found some blood trail/blood dots in the snow. I followed the blood tracks for a while but they faded away maybe because the weather was going bad.

What I did note is the blood trail path/direction. This came in handy next morning. Therefore I got up early and went for a walk in that general direction. Guess what? I found the deer I shot last night. So harvested all I could.

Although it supposed to be fixed by now, I think that the blood trails are still not persistent.

Every time I follow a fresh trail after long walks the trail disappear.

To the devs: If the animal bleeds out no trail will be visible anymore so we suppose to find the carcass nearby?

Why the trail stop after many meters?

Just to put in my two cents here:

I think it would be reasonable to expect that the blood trails would fade over time, either as the blood sank into the snow, more snow fell, and the animal's wound slowly closed up, fatal or not.

Once when I was deer hunting at pleasant valley, I shot a deer, and it ran off, leaving a blood trail. I followed it, but noticed the spots disappeared with time. Unfortunately, I ended up falling off a cliff trying to find the blood trail through some bushes. After healing however, I circled around, trying to follow what I thought the AI would do. Sure enough, there was the deer with a wolf tearing at it.

In the end though, I think the non-persistent blood trails are actually pretty accurate to real life. That being said, I'm not a hunter, so feel free to correct me :)

A blood trail would last for days in real life w/o a fresh snowfall to cover it. Also animals would attempt to bed down under trees and shrubs the first chance they get, so running for miles doesn't typically happen unless your chasing them. Tracking animals in real life is a skill so to me being able to level blood tracking makes sense.

Archived