Map & snow shelter

Hotzn

I presume many people here know this, but for me it was new and an interesting discovery, so I would like to share:

Watching the (fairly old) trailer for TLD in the Steam shop, one can see the "action menue" at some point (with forage wood, use bedroll and so on). There are two icons which are not present (anymore) in today's menue - an icon for "map" and an icon for "snow shelter", the latter depicted with a shovel. My Sherlock-like brain immediately connected this to the shovel which can be seen in the main menue screen (in front of Trapper's). So the idea of maps and shovels/snow shelters have been around with the devs for a long time. Interesting.

It seems they have either been dropped for design reasons, or they are now reserved for story mode. I am not asking which is the case, as the game will teach me in due time anyway...

I think the addition (or re-introduction) of both of those would be great. While I think the map might make things a bit to easy, I do think it is something we should have access to. Even if we had to sink an hour at the end of the day to "update" the map and the player used charcoal do make additions/corrections. Using a shovel to dig snow caves (not that you need a shovel) seemed to be a missing item for me from day one. I think digging a snow cave with a shovel would be akin to foraging for wood with an axe. You can dig a cave without a shovel, but the results are going to be more costly with less results.

pencils and pens are likely to be available, so no need to resort to charcoal.

Snow cave would be a fun addition, but there's no real point currently-- there are so many other (and superior) places to stay (at least in CH and ML). That said, I'm all for adding a more wilderness area where building some sort of shelter would be necessary

pencils and pens are likely to be available, so no need to resort to charcoal.

Snow cave would be a fun addition, but there's no real point currently-- there are so many other (and superior) places to stay (at least in CH and ML). That said, I'm all for adding a more wilderness area where building some sort of shelter would be necessary

Pencils wouldn't be working due to the storm...

Kidding.

I am very interested in the snow shelter though. As the areas have gotten bigger and bigger, and with the unity update I expect the next areas to be even bigger still, the need to shelter in place outside will become more common. I've weathered more than a few storms on the leeward side of a tree.

Archived