Do you remember?

Hello! Lately I have been going by the name Candyracks... But thats nowhere near to the introduction that I should give.. no I got way on my mind.

Do you wish to know who I am? Fine, but first, we need to dig deep to know what this game means to me... Do you.. Remember?

Do you remembere when there ere only 2 regions, Mystery Lake and Coastal Highwqy? Do you remember that there was only a simple teleport system between those, and before that, They werent realy connected at all? The 1st real Transition between these 2 came later with the wooden railroad bridge, and only the railroad bridge, No Fallen train in a ravine, no resting cave, no birch forest... Just the bridge.

Do you remember when the only way to harvest wood was thru amenu where you had to preselect the amount you liked and you harvested it from the air itself? That was before limbs, sticks and breakable furniture came.

Do you remember when you got a lit stick from a campfire instead of a torch? That came when Interloper was added for the 1st time. It was also the time where you couldnt throw torches, flares and these lit sticks at wolves. Only swing them.

Do you remember Fluffy? The wolf that resided in Carter Hydro dam before Wintermute came and had to be moved to a new location as the dam got a huge overhaul?

Do you remember when there was no forge, and you arrow heads were crafted simply at a workbench with simple/quality tools?

Do you remember when there was only one item at a time cooking system, and you had to be there cooking your meal full time without having it cooked and doin something else in the meantime?

Do you remember the original Forestery Lookout? The one that is now a ruin sitting atop a hill that the old ones remember as one of the main locations in the game?

Do you remember when there was only one forge in the entire game? Desolation Point had it, making it a must go region if you wanted to get your arrows done

Do you remember the old tree textures? its simply green needles covered in snow?

Do you remember the times when the only map you had, was the one piced up in your head?

.... I could go on forever with this.. I truly could. Why? See, I am not new to this game. Oh no, Im truly not :D

I have started playing in 2014. I was 10 years onl at the time. I didnt have much money

back than, so my first ever copy of The Long dark was a pirated one, and it was just the one before Pleasent Valley was added. Back than I was very young, and english isnt my main language, so I really wasnt say good at the game, but I managed. My best in that version was a solid 30 days.

The game cought me. I loved it. Somebow it had everything I ever wanted. Its setting, Its purpose, its gameplay, its aura.

It was perfect. It still is to this day.

First few years of my teenage years on this game werent really any special in an achieving way. I really wasnt good at it xD. My best in those few years was 70 days.

This was my pb in somewhere around 2017-18.

Than I finally cought on. I was 14 and I finaly startred finalazing eeverything I learned from those years and started putting it to good use. I managed to get to 300+ days on Stalker. Most of them were done in Trappers homestead. At the time I was very scared and careful about exploration, I didnt explore much on that safe, Mystery lake, tiny bit of Pleasent valley, Forlorn Muskeg and the adventure ended in Broken Railroad. I wasnt good at travelling. And I was really scared of wildlife.

Around my 14-15 years I finally bought original copy of The Long dark on my Xbox One. Oh boy, did I flurish there. I used all the knowledge I got from that one good run and aplied it here with some Interloper strats. Now, I had more games, and gotten much better at gaming overall. I was no longer scared of exploration. I somehow managed to get to 500 days in the 1st 3 weks of the save. And to top it off, about 460 days out of the 50 were spent in 500m radius of Trappers Homestead. I learned how to survive of f of what the nature gave me, I even had a bear spawn right at Maxs Last Stand.

I managed to get this save to over 3300 Days! It was amazing! I even Tried Interloper and I managed to get to 300+ days!

And finally I had the strats! I had 100% of world explored on the 3000D Stalker run. I managed to get all the suplies to TH and Camp office from all caross the regions we had back than. (BalckRock was the last one). On Interloper nowhere near that, but I managed XD.

.... Than the Big update came... Tales From The Far Territtory.. everything was lost.. all of it.. I still had plans for the Interloper run.. I was getting good at it... and my Stalker run... I had genuine feelings for my character there.. I named him... Chris.. at that age I was back than I basically took him as my own child. I my eyes he was perfect.. I loved him.. and he was taken away from me..

Months came and went and nothing new. I know all was lost but I was still waiting for the new update. At about January of 2023 I got enough of waiting and went ahead and bought the game on Steam with everything, even the soundtrack.

Now..  Id say I have abput all the world wide knowldge of this game I could have had. All challenges completed, years of experirnce and days survived to show for it. And back than, when I was still running my 2 old worlds, I still was coming up with ideas how things could have been done better. So I aplicated that here, on the new runs... and Id say it went well. As of exploration: 99% on Interloper, 100% on stalker, 1085 days on Interloper, 1675 on Stalker. I live in Hunting Lodge on Interloper, PV Farmstead on Stalker.

Things are going good, and Im still enjoying the game as much as ever.

I love it. Its perfect.

I have been playing this for 10 years now. Im 20 and on December to turn to 21. many of you probably had other games, as most of the TLD player base is of 25+ older peaople.

For me, This was my childhood, and I couldnt have asked for anything better. :)

I have discovered this forum recently funnily enough, and thought this is the right place to share my story.

In any case Raph the creator of TLD gets to read this:Tank you so much. This game means everything to me and took me thru my hardest of time.Its literally all I ever want from life: the nature, the snow, wildlife, its quitness,... Its just perfect. You and your team made my childhood. I thank you for all the fond memories that Ill get to keep and that are yet to come. I thank you for all the things your game tought me. Thanks to it I became excelent at orientation. I developed eagle memory thanks to TLD and can remember a playe of of a first vist and orient myslef to it on the slighest amount of ylue(tree, rocks, certain angle, hills,.. I need really littgle to get my bearings XD This applys both for TLD and real life. This is an amazing skill I have YOU to thank for. I wish you and your team all the best and all the respect the TLD project deserves, because you sure earned it. This is a masters work brought to land.,,

I guess.. Thats all.. Happy to get this of of my chest :D Love TLD Forever ❤️ 

(boutta post some fan art now xD)

• Upvote 4

Thanks! We will see I guess xD Aint never been the type into socials, but perhaps here it will be exception as here its heavily TLD related :D 

Since I have that many years of experience on this game, I wouldnt mind to rant a lil about some strats, perhaps teach some newbies some tips, etc.

Overall I really like sharing what I got in my bag of knowledge if someones interested. 😊

(really excited for the new update! especially cougar. Its amazing devs give each animal their very own specific mechanics ❤️. And Misery mode... well im good on loper so I guess its just a must to give it a try I gues XD) 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, CandyRacks said:

Thanks! We will see I guess xD Aint never been the type into socials, but perhaps here it will be exception as here its heavily TLD related :D 

Since I have that many years of experience on this game, I wouldnt mind to rant a lil about some strats, perhaps teach some newbies some tips, etc.

Overall I really like sharing what I got in my bag of knowledge if someones interested. 😊

(really excited for the new update! especially cougar. Its amazing devs give each animal their very own specific mechanics ❤️. And Misery mode... well im good on loper so I guess its just a must to give it a try I gues XD) 

This is the only social media I use and it's become my second home...   😁.    There's a lot of good people on this forum ,new and long time..

I'm sure you have plenty of advice to share , especially after playing for so long.and im sure it'll be much appreciate by all😊

The game is awesome,though I'm a bit wary of the cougar being a pilgrim player,and no mention of it being passive like the other animals lol...

• Upvote 2

Well... that is indeed a good notice! Its main task is to make you switch regions... perhaps pilgrim will get way more time than other difs to move at the very least. Otherwise if it really is still aggreasive, you stil can drop a lil noicemaker present to its den :D 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, CandyRacks said:

Well... that is indeed a good notice! Its main task is to make you switch regions... perhaps pilgrim will get way more time than other difs to move at the very least. Otherwise if it really is still aggreasive, you stil can drop a lil noicemaker present to its den :D 

If I can find it's den first😁.  I am a bit nomadic though so I might never see it at all

• Upvote 2

I guess it will be in already ixesting caves since why would it bould ts stick shack out in the cold? xD But who really knows. perhaps there will be totally new tiny caves in cliff where it will have a randpm chance to set up its lair. In that case, of to explore I guess :D 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, CandyRacks said:

I guess it will be in already ixesting caves since why would it bould ts stick shack out in the cold? xD But who really knows. perhaps there will be totally new tiny caves in cliff where it will have a randpm chance to set up its lair. In that case, of to explore I guess :D 

Possibly ,but you never know with htl😁.  There are a lot of hidden nooks around .. .. a needle in a haystack springs to mind lol.

• Upvote 2

Just now, CandyRacks said:

Im also wondering if there will be a struggle option with cougar. Unlike bear or moose this doesnt weight over 200kgs so I see some chance of a fight back option.

Well they did say there's a chance it won't kill us ,so maybe it's more like the bear struggle,it'll only take a certain percentage.. it could depend on how good our stats/condition is.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully not. The animal its self is fast but I totally see a logical chance of blasting a revover shot into it while its digging thru your clother xD

I think this more or so focuses on the moment before the initial attack. Will you have quick enough reflexes to hear its steps in tho snow and perhaps pull of a rifle shot? Or will you get jumped and REALLY fight for your life. The animal has supposedly really good stalking mechanism. It would be unfair if you could really only defend yourself in those few seconds prior the attack or just watch a cutscene as it maules you. It would surely be harder to get it off of ya but theres a cahnce in hand to hand fight. +we already have moose and bera as the unfightable animals and only wolves have struggles. would be nice to have 2 types from each :) 

• Upvote 1

Wel there must be something,or there wouldn't be a new affliction from it...   

It could ambush you initially but pull back giving you the option to attack it before it strikes again...maybe...

• Upvote 1

I keep forgettin the quate option xD srr

Hopefully not. The animal its self is fast but I totally see a logical chance of blasting a revover shot into it while its digging thru your clother xD

I think this more or so focuses on the moment before the initial attack. Will you have quick enough reflexes to hear its steps in tho snow and perhaps pull of a rifle shot? Or will you get jumped and REALLY fight for your life. The animal has supposedly really good stalking mechanism. It would be unfair if you could really only defend yourself in those few seconds prior the attack or just watch a cutscene as it maules you. It would surely be harder to get it off of ya but theres a cahnce in hand to hand fight. +we already have moose and bera as the unfightable animals and only wolves have struggles. would be nice to have 2 types from each :) 

• Upvote 1

On the affliction Im guessing something like deep gashes or it litteraly scratching loads of your flesh away with its clwas. Maybe a broken bone as it jumps on you? who knows, but it sure is gonna be sharp unlike moose and its blunt stomps

• Upvote 2

So many questions lol...   It's going to be fun finding out ..   

I've not had that many stompings ,only two and one was deliberate but I can't see it doing damage like the moose either...

• Upvote 2

Hmm... who knows really. Mooses intent is to not kill you really. Its in self defence mode. The cougar on the other hand really wants to eat you and it doesnt like you in "its" territory. Therefor the attack is more deadly. Its intent is your death. I also wonder if it will like randomly spawn near you to perform its attack, or it will have its more "at home" area in the region andonce you cross that border, it will start its hunt. I wonder of this since on my loper I lve in Hunting Lodge which is fenced off, so practically there should be no way for it to get there unless it has its den on the premisses.

Also feel free if im perhaps anoyin ya a lil xD. Im just happy I can debate bout tld stuff finally :D 

• Upvote 1

The moose is my nemesis lol... If it doesn't want to kill me then I have the advantage because I do want to kill him😁.   I've bagged 11 in the last week or so .. 

I did wonder about that too...I have my main base at pv farm which is pretty open round it and the enclosed porch out the front,so a sudden ambush might be very difficult...

I'm not sure about the lodge,my last side run I came out the house one day to find the bear there,and I know that I'd closed the gate..no idea how it got up there....

You're not annoying me at all.. 😊.   I like hearing people's theory's and experiences.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

11 moose last week? jeez! xDD Poor things. I really killed only 1 on loper for the satchel and 5 on Stalker. I much more favor bears since you can kida bait em a lil. on loper I like to bait it back to its cave and kill it there so I can harvest it in warm space. Over all those years I killed only like 9 moose xD

For my Stalker I live i the farmstead too. I plan to wear the ballistic vest while just doin daily routine around the house incase it decides its time for attack. Might be g you do that too unless its specified theyre fine on pilgrim :) 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, CandyRacks said:

11 moose last week? jeez! xDD Poor things. I really killed only 1 on loper for the satchel and 5 on Stalker. I much more favor bears since you can kida bait em a lil. on loper I like to bait it back to its cave and kill it there so I can harvest it in warm space. Over all those years I killed only like 9 moose xD

For my Stalker I live i the farmstead too. I plan to wear the ballistic vest while just doin daily routine around the house incase it decides its time for attack. Might be g you do that too unless its specified theyre fine on pilgrim :) 

Well I got to day 800 and ran out of things to really do... after looking at my stats I decided to get the moose kills to 50 before I hit 1000 days..

I've spent the last 70 days finding and hunting them... 7 more to go but now I have to wait for them to respawn lol..  unless I risk going to forsaken for that one...  My head doesn't like the glimmer fog..

The bears are definitely easier to get ,in a sense anyway..  but on pilgrim you can't lead them anywhere.its either they run away or just full run at you..

I get to very safe places before trying a bear.. ..that's why i miss the pv farm bear lol..  lunch on the doorstep😁

I've not used the ballistic vest ,it's just too heavy.but I can see it working well in this case..

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Well I got to day 800 and ran out of things to really do... after looking at my stats I decided to get the moose kills to 50 before I hit 1000 days..

I've spent the last 70 days finding and hunting them... 7 more to go but now I have to wait for them to respawn lol..  unless I risk going to forsaken for that one...  My head doesn't like the glimmer fog..

The bears are definitely easier to get ,in a sense anyway..  but on pilgrim you can't lead them anywhere.its either they run away or just full run at you..

I get to very safe places before trying a bear.. ..that's why i miss the pv farm bear lol..  lunch on the doorstep😁

I've not used the ballistic vest ,it's just too heavy.but I can see it working well in this case..

Well, if you struggle with entertainment on long term, Id advice either a break in extreme cases or if you really just wanna farm up day, play some movie or whatever and do the dayily strat of running around until encumbred and have 12 hours of sleep, than repeat. It an efficient way to get like 1 day done in 5 irl minutes, with occasional cooking or hunting.

4 minutes ago, CandyRacks said:

Well, if you struggle with entertainment on long term, Id advice either a break in extreme cases or if you really just wanna farm up day, play some movie or whatever and do the dayily strat of running around until encumbred and have 12 hours of sleep, than repeat. It an efficient way to get like 1 day done in 5 irl minutes, with occasional cooking or hunting.

It's only my second time doing a long run...I lost my first to a fail to save bug...   I really only play that run for an hour or so a day so I try to make sure I have some kind of plan for the day...  But I did put off doing things like cairns and buffers ,sadly one or two of the collectables are bugged so it's still kind of unfinished..in the meantime though I like to keep her moving ..  I already sleep all night as I can't see too well in the dark and I have soooo much bear and moose meat around I don't need to hunt any more..  I am on my way to bleak to make lots more rifle ammo though lol... Some of those moose did not want to die😁.     I appreciate the suggestions thank you......   

The only times I don't play tld is when I'm too ill,which luckily is very rare..

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

It's only my second time doing a long run...I lost my first to a fail to save bug...   I really only play that run for an hour or so a day so I try to make sure I have some kind of plan for the day...  But I did put off doing things like cairns and buffers ,sadly one or two of the collectables are bugged so it's still kind of unfinished..in the meantime though I like to keep her moving ..  I already sleep all night as I can't see too well in the dark and I have soooo much bear and moose meat around I don't need to hunt any more..  I am on my way to bleak to make lots more rifle ammo though lol... Some of those moose did not want to die😁.     I appreciate the suggestions thank you......   

The only times I don't play tld is when I'm too ill,which luckily is very rare..

My boredom was kinda sustained with the new Vitam C thing. had to activate it with mods tho. Now I have to go fishin on loper any good weather I get xD

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CandyRacks said:

My boredom was kinda sustained with the new Vitam C thing. had to activate it with mods tho. Now I have to go fishin on loper any good weather I get xD

The new updates certainly do help..     I'm on Xbox so mods aren't available for me.. I saw your screenshot and noticed you'd got them.. do you use many?

• Upvote 1