Meat preservation

K3V038

Like the title sugests, the long dark should have more ways to keep your meats edible for longer. For a long time players have to drop their meats in the cold, in front of their shelters to make them deteriorate slower. But there are diffrent solutions, used arround the world by many cultures and people. For example it would be good if we were able to salt our meats to preserve them For longer, this practice can be dated to ancient egipt itself. We also could use a new mechanic for cooking... smoking meats could be a good way to preserve them, on the downside of making you feel more thirst and giving you less calories then the already existing cooked meats of the long dark 

• Upvote 3

I would think that food preservation (i.e. meat and fish) was not considered necessary by the devs given the starting premise of the game which was story mode (aka Wintermute).  As a story driven game not the open ended form that would be survival sandbox/mode I think the devs thought 100 days would be far beyond the expected duration of Wintermute.  As a result there would be no need for food preservation.  By the time Wintermute concluded in game terms a fresh piece of raw venison would be mostly about to go to ruined condition.  

Naturally with open-ended survival play, as survival sandbox proved to be popular enough to result in a survival mode of play,  that assumption would not hold but rather than go to the trouble to work out a food preservation scheme they just let ruined food be edible albeit with a chance of food poisoning (excepting the level 5 cooking benefit).  

So I have no objections to food preservation so long as it slots into any other changes regarding "ruined" food however I suspect that, for now, the devs don't think it worth the trouble/effort to implement any such thing.  If TLD/DLC continues onward, it could show up eventually - it would make for a natural improvement in an update -  but not anytime soon.  

On 5/14/2024 at 6:06 PM, UTC-10 said:

I would think that food preservation (i.e. meat and fish) was not considered necessary by the devs given the starting premise of the game which was story mode (aka Wintermute).  As a story driven game not the open ended form that would be survival sandbox/mode I think the devs thought 100 days would be far beyond the expected duration of Wintermute.  As a result there would be no need for food preservation.  By the time Wintermute concluded in game terms a fresh piece of raw venison would be mostly about to go to ruined condition.  

Naturally with open-ended survival play, as survival sandbox proved to be popular enough to result in a survival mode of play,  that assumption would not hold but rather than go to the trouble to work out a food preservation scheme they just let ruined food be edible albeit with a chance of food poisoning (excepting the level 5 cooking benefit).  

So I have no objections to food preservation so long as it slots into any other changes regarding "ruined" food however I suspect that, for now, the devs don't think it worth the trouble/effort to implement any such thing.  If TLD/DLC continues onward, it could show up eventually - it would make for a natural improvement in an update -  but not anytime soon.  

Youre right. The devs said they dont expect the players to survive more then a 100 days, but there are countless people that play on the survival mode, including me, who managed to out-live the expectant death days by a long time. Those new mechanics could be good for early cooking levels, preserving meat and letting you cook it on good condition before level 5 of cooking, at level 5 you can eat 0% condition food, so preserving meat wont be needed too much...