Bears relocate after player enters indoor location

Prior to the most recent update it had been possible to hunt bears using indoor locations as a safe haven. Namely, you could (1) attract the attention of a bear, (2) entice it to walk near to an indoor location, (3) shoot the bear, let it aggro you, and quickly walk inside, (4) quickly return outside, in a crouched position and note that the bear is not in aggro mode. (5) rinse and repeat.

Now with the most recent update, it appears this hunting method is no longer valid. Once you enter an indoor location the bear teleports to a different location. On a recent interloper run, I noted that after entering/exiting an indoor location the bear would instantaneously resurface a very long distance away near its cave (with my arrow still attached to it).

I have been playing long dark for many years and recall this bizarre behavior. But they had resolved the issue in a patch many years ago. Now the issue has appeared again.

Now, I am still able to safely hunt bears on interloper using natural obstacles to hinder the animal once it becomes aggro -- although it is more difficult. I  find it to be bizarre that Hinterland has reintroduced this behavior. Animal teleportation detracts from the immersive experience of playing the game IMO. Have they done this on purpose or is it a bug?

Edited by ChaosInEquilibrium
  • Upvote 1

You can also still duck into cars to escape a charging bear without it resetting, so there's still a ground-level option for that kinda hunting when you can't find a tree or rock the bear can't reach you on.

On 5/5/2024 at 9:32 PM, Leeanda said:

I don't think this applies to just hunting either..

I saw the bear near the riken so I went in and up to the top and it had disappeared..  

Yup, I've definitely seen the same there recently, several times. Gotta have a bit more luck & patience to get the bear from the safest hunting spot on the island now. ^_^

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, artmunki said:

Yup, I've definitely seen the same there recently, several times. Gotta have a bit more luck & patience to get the bear from the safest hunting spot on the island now. ^_^

I've got the patience lo, but considering I didn't see that bear for the next four days either ,I'm guessing it's a bug😁.  

It is a good sniper spot though

5 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I've got the patience lo, but considering I didn't see that bear for the next four days either ,I'm guessing it's a bug😁.  

It is a good sniper spot though

Sometimes I've seen it sorta semi-reset its route back down to the end of the Hibernia pier when I come back out on deck, so you only have to wait a wee while to let it wander back down to the Riken, but other times I think it must reset right back to its cave, or maybe just despawns entirely. I'm seeing it as a good thing tho - for the moment it means that I don't have to take out the bear every time I go to DP, and it's not like I have a shortage of resources at the boat.  ^_^

1 minute ago, artmunki said:

Sometimes I've seen it sorta semi-reset its route back down to the end of the Hibernia pier when I come back out on deck, so you only have to wait a wee while to let it wander back down to the Riken, but other times I think it must reset right back to its cave, or maybe just despawns entirely. I'm seeing it as a good thing tho - for the moment it means that I don't have to take out the bear every time I go to DP, and it's not like I have a shortage of resources at the boat.  ^_^

There's definitely no shortage of wolves in desolation,  should  keep you fed for a long time..😁. Even better if you have the moose too.

I think the bears are all still a bit glitchy though..